Sun Devils Fall in Pac-12 Semifinals
STANFORD, Calif. – Sun Devil Lacrosse went toe-to-toe with No. 1 seed Stanford on their turf, but fell short in the semifinal round of the Pac-12 Lacrosse Tournament.
Arizona State (10-6, 5-4) gave the Cardinal all they could handle for the third time this season, with the undefeated and Top-20 home side eventually pulling away for the 18-11 victory. Playing their second game in two days, the fight and determination of the Maroon & Gold was on full display, playing Sun Devil Lacrosse for all 60 minutes.
Berkeley Bonneau was simply fantastic, doing everything she could to keep her team in the game. She saved one of her best performances of her career for the biggest stage, making 18 saves and collecting eight ground balls. Bonneau saw a lot of action, but was brilliant throughout the evening, attempting to will her team to victory.
On offense, Carley Adams and Kerri Clayton contributed spectacular efforts, trying to put the team on their back against a stiff Stanford defense. Adams had seven points and Clayton had five, playing hard and unselfish lacrosse. The Sun Devils had nine assists on 11 goals, with the team getting production from throughout the roster.
Much like the first two matchups between the two sides, it was a game of runs that determined the outcome. Stanford went on four separate runs of at least three unanswered goals, the biggest of which coming with 7:27 left in the game. The Cardinal enjoyed a 4-0 run after the Sun Devils had cut the lead to three, putting the game out of reach.
Arizona State jumped out to a 2-0 lead early in the game, with the Cardinal unable to score for the first seven minutes. Once they did, it came in the form of four straight goals to take a 4-2 lead midway through the first half. The Sun Devils came back with two goals of their own, tying the game at four. Stanford went on to score five of the next six goals to end the half including two in the final nine seconds, entering the break with a 9-5 lead.
Coach McCormack's squad was not fazed by the deficit, coming out in the second half with the first goal. Stanford built their largest lead to that point with a 3-0 spurt, putting them up 12-6. The Sun Devils refused to go down without a fight despite the deficit, coming through with a crucial 3-0 run of their own. The Cardinal finished the game with six of the final eight goals, finishing off Arizona State's run at the Pac-12 Tournament.
"It's impossible for everyone on this team to not give everything they have for 60 + minutes or they wouldn't be playing Sun Devil Lacrosse," Carley Adams reflected after the game "We had to face a lot of adversity in that game, but we are stronger when we're all on the same page just grateful to be playing the sport we love."
"Berk (Berkeley Bonneau) plays goalie better than any lacrosse player in the country," Adams exclaimed. "Men's or women's. Her next-play-mentality is inspirational to any athlete."
"I think the 2021 Arizona State Lacrosse team got better and closer every day," Adams added. "No team in the country has been through the ups and downs we have and I would choose no other 46 players 3 coaches and 4 managers, trainer and strength coach to surround myself with to play my favorite game."
- Berkeley Bonneau had a memorable performance in net for the Sun Devils, coming through with 18 saves and eight ground balls.
- It is her second-most saves in a game and seventh career 15+ save performance, with three coming this season.
- She now has 34 career double-digit save efforts on her resume.
- Her eight ground balls give her over 200 in her career, Top-5 among active NCAA players.
- Carley Adams added three more goals and seven more points to her single-season records, proving why she was a First Team Pac-12 All-Conference selection.
- Her 77 points and 58 goals this season are the most in the Pac-12.
- She now has three straight games with seven points and five performances with seven or more points this year.
- Her four assists are a career-high.
- After scoring 13 goals in her first 33 games as a Sun Devil, Adams has accounted for 76 goals in her last 24 games.
- Katie Brodsky's breakout 2021 campaign continues, as she finished with one goal and two assists.
- She now has 18 points over her past four games.
- After compiling 16 points in 11 games during her first two seasons, Brodsky has now scored 30 goals and dished out 24 assists (54 points) in 16 games this year.
- Kerri Clayton had a strong offensive outing, serving as a catalyst for the offense.
- Clayton now as five or more points in seven games this season and 13 times in her career.
- She has recorded 3+ assists in five games this season.
- Eclipsed the 40 goal mark in a season for the second time in her career.
- Arizona State currently has a 10-6 record, the most victories in program history
Arizona State will now wait to find out their postseason fate on the NCAA Women's Lacrosse Selection Special on Sunday, May 9 at 6 pm MST. The 29-team field and entire bracket will be revealed live on ESPNU, with more information available here. For more information on the selection process and Road to the Championship, visit the following link.
HOW TO FOLLOW
Follow our Twitter and Instagram accounts (@SunDevilWLax) and like our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/sundevilwlax/). Visit our website, TheSunDevils.com, for the latest updates and information on the program.