Cats Advance to NCAA Second Round for First Time Since 2009
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Arizona moved on to the second round of the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2009 with a 4-3 win over No. 12 Michigan.
No. 12 Michigan came out firing in the doubles point to jump out to an early lead. The Wildcats regained their footing in singles with four first set wins. Carlos Hassey and Alejandro Reguant both mounted comebacks in the first set before closing their matches in straight sets. Filip Malbasic also got on the board with a straight set victory to set up a three-set victory for No. 45 Gustaf Strom to clinch the match.
Arizona is the first team to move on in the NCAA Tournament, making it to the second round for the third time in program history. The Wildcats have only made it to the second round in 2009 and 2004.
Alejandro Reguant tied Roger Matalonga for the most overall wins in program history with his win today. Gustaf Strom pulls to one game behind the record for most singles wins in a spring season, currently held by Filip Malbasic and Andres Carrasco. As a team, Arizona has never made it past the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
No. 18 Arizona will play the winner of Kentucky and Cleveland State match.
1. No. 47 Fenty/Siimar def. Reguant/Hassey 6-3
2. Ziverts/Hoeyeraal vs. Maloney/Styler 5-4 unf.
3. Erchenshneider/Johnston def. Strom/Malbasic 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 1
1. No. 45 Gustaf Strom def. Andrew Fenty 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
2. Ondrej Styler def. No. 90 Jonas Ziverts 6-4, 6-1
3. Filip Malbasic def. Patrick Maloney 6-3, 6-4
4. Mattias Siimar def. Herman Hoeyeraal 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
5. Alejandro Reguant def. Nick Beaty 6-4, 6-2
6. Carlos Hassey def. Nino Erchenshneider 7-5, 6-1
Order of finish: 2, 6, 5, 3, 4, 1