Irvin, Offense Hammer Cardinal, 20-2, to Even Series
STANFORD, Calif. — The Arizona Wildcats (32-12, 16-7) scored early and often to support a strong start from Garrett Irvin and roll the Stanford Cardinal (25-10, 11-6) on Saturday afternoon.
Arizona's 18-run victory even the three-game series at 1-1 and set up a rubber match for Sunday.
Irvin (4-1) was brilliant for the Wildcats, lasting 7.0 innings and allowing just two runs on five hits while striking out five. He earned his fourth win of the year.
The Wildcats offense dropped 20 runs on the Cardinal courtesy of 15 hits — eight of which went for extra bases — 15 walks and four hit batters. Their 15 walks were four more than their previous season high and the most for the team since drawing 17 free passes against UMass Lowell in February 2019.
The Cats scored in all but two innings, the seventh and the eighth, for their second 20-run performance of the year.
Among the highlights were Nik McClaughry hitting his first career home run and finish a double shy of the cycle, Daniel Susac's 12th home run of the season, and Donta Williams four-walk outing.
With victory soundly in hand, southpaw Gil Luna relieved Irvin to open the eighth inning and shut down the Cardinal over the final two frames. Luna allowed just one hit and struck out three to send the Wildcats away victorious.
- C Daniel Susac: 4-for-5, 2 R, 2B, HR, 5 RBI
- SS Nik McClaughry: 3-for-5, 3 R, 3B, HR, 3 RBI, BB
- RF Ryan Holgate: 2-for-4, 3 R, 2B, HR, 3 RBI, BB
- CF Donta Williams: 0-for-1, 2 R, 4 BB, HBP
- 1B Branden Boissiere: 1-for-4, 2 R, RBI, BB, HBP
- LF Mac Bingham: 1-for-3, 3 R, RBI, BB, HBP
- LHP Gil Luna: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 K
Numbers of the Day
- Catcher Daniel Susac hit his 8th conference home run of the year, tying Shelley Duncan (1999) for the most Pac-10/12 homers by a freshman in a single season.
- Arizona's 18-run margin of victory on Saturday was their largest margin of victory this year.
Tweet of the Day
??BANG!!?? @NikMcclaughry joins the party with his first career dinger and the dugout goes WILD! ?? #BearDown pic.twitter.com/pQl2sQj1jv
— Arizona Baseball (@ArizonaBaseball) May 8, 2021
Arizona looks to secure their seventh consecutive Pac-12 series win in Sunday's rubber game. First pitch is slated for 1:05 p.m. MST.