No. 1 UCLA Stays Alive with 3-0 Sweep of No. 7 Cal Poly
SOCIAL MEDIA: BeachVB on Twitter | BeachVB on Facebook | BeachVB on Instagram
GULF SHORES, Ala. -- No. 1 UCLA (30-4) advanced in the contender's bracket on Saturday afternoon sweeping No. 7 Cal Poly (24-11) at the 2021 NCAA Beach Volleyball Championship at Gulf Place. With the win, the Bruins improved to 8-0 all-time against the Mustangs.
The Bruins took a 1-0 lead after court four's Megan Muret and Jacqueline Quade posted a straight-set win (21-16, 21-19) over Cal Poly's Sam Strah and Eleonore Johansen.
UCLA quickly made it 2-0 after Lea Monkhouse and Devon Newberry won in two sets on court two (22-20, 21-17) over the Mustangs' Amy Ozee and Jayelin Lombard.
The Bruins got the clinching dual point on court five where Rileigh Powers and Jaden Whitmarsh took down CP's Josie Ulrich and Van Roscoe two identical sets of 21-19.
Two courts were unable to finish when court five finalized the 3-0 sweep. Court one's Savvy Simo and Lexy Denaburg led Macy Gordon and Emily Sonny 23-21, 15-15 and the Bruins' Abby Van Winkle and Lindsey Sparks led Cal Poly's Tia Miric and Mariah Whalen on court three 21-19, 17-15.
The Bruins will take on No. 4 LSU (27-8) in the consolation bracket on Saturday, May 8 at 3:30 p.m. PDT on ESPN2. Loser goes home.
No. 1 UCLA def. No. 7 Cal Poly, 3-0
Gulf Place • Gulf Shores, Ala.
2021 NCAA Beach Volleyball Championship
Saturday, May 8, 2021
RECORDS: UCLA (30-4), CP (24-11)
1. Savvy Simo/Lexy Denaburg (UCLA) vs. Macy Gordon/Emily Sonny (CP); 23-21, 15-15, truncated
2. Lea Monkhouse/Devon Newberry (UCLA) def. Amy Ozee/Jayelin Lombard (CP); 22-20, 21-17
3. Abby Van Winkle/Lindsey Sparks (UCLA) vs. Tia Miric/Mariah Whalen (CP); 21-19, 17-15, truncated
4. Megan Muret/Jacqueline Quade (UCLA) def. Sam Strah/Eleonore Johansen (CP); 21-16, 21-19
5. Rileigh Powers/Jaden Whitmarsh (UCLA) def. Josie Ulrich/Vanessa Roscoe (CP); 21-19, 21-19
Order of finish: 4, 2, 5*