Tamed the Tigers
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Advancing in the NCAA Tournament in shutout fashion, No. 21 Stanford men's tennis earned a 4-0 win over No. 40 LSU on Saturday on the campus of Virginia. The Cardinal is advancing to the round of 32 for the sixth consecutive tournament.
Stanford (11-5) got off to a quick start with wins over LSU (12-13) in the top two doubles positions to take an early 1-0 lead. Tristan Boyer and Timothy Sah won their first five games, and closed out a 6-1 win, while the pair of Axel Geller and Tomas Kopczynski wrapped up a 6-2 victory right on the heels of the court two win.
The momentum continued into singles play, where Arthur Fery, Neel Rajesh and Alexandre Rotsaert scored straight set results to send the Cardinal through to the next round, 4-0. All three matches finished within seconds of each other, with Fery the first to close out a 6-3, 6-0 result. Rajesh finished off a 6-2, 6-2 win, while Rotsaert scored the clinching point on court four, 6-2, 6-0.
The Cardinal improves to 7-1 all-time against LSU.
Stanford will face the victor of No. 5 Virginia and Fairleigh Dickinson on Sunday, May 9 at 9 a.m. PT.
No. 21 Stanford 4, No. 40 LSU 0
1) Geller/Tomas Kopczynski (STAN) d. No. 32 Hohmann/Wagner (LSU), 6-2
2) Boyer/Sah (STAN) d. Graca/Joey Thomas (LSU), 6-1
3) Fery/Rotsaert (STAN) v. Kozlov/Nick Watson (LSU), 3-3 susp.
Order of Finish: 2, 1
1) No. 31 Ronald Hohmann (LSU) led No. 104 Axel Geller (STAN), 6-3, 2-1 susp.
2) No. 78 Arthur Fery (STAN) d. No. 103 Rafael Wagner (LSU), 6-3, 6-0
3) Tristan Boyer (STAN) v. Joao Graca (LSU), 6-6 susp.
4) Alexandre Rotsaert (STAN) d. Boris Kozlov (LSU), 6-2, 6-0
5) Benjamin Ambrosio (LSU) led Timothy Sah (STAN), 6-4, 1-2 susp.
6) Neel Rajesh (STAN) d. Ben Koch (LSU), 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 6, 4