Women's Tennis Earns Berth in NCAA Round of 16
LOS ANGELES – The fourth-seeded UCLA women's tennis team earned a spot in the NCAA Championships round of 16 Saturday afternoon, blanking Texas Tech at Los Angeles Tennis Center.
Abbey Forbes clinched the victory for the Bruins (21-4), who also received singles wins from Annette Goulak and Vivian Wolff after collecting the doubles point. The Lady Raiders (16-9) saw their season come to a close one day after knocking off San Diego in the opening round.
UCLA advances to face Georgia Tech, which shut out North Florida Saturday. The Bruins and Yellow Jackets will square off at the USTA National Campus in Orlando, Fla. on May 16. First serve is scheduled for 1 p.m., PT.
UCLA dropped just one game in the completed doubles contests, with Abi Altick and Taylor Johnson setting the tone on Court 3. The pair rolled to a 6-0 defeat of Metka Komac and Nell Miller to improve its record to 7-3 on the season. Forbes and Jada Hart nearly matched Altick and Johnson on the top court, using a 6-1 showing against Lisa Mayes and Kaitlin Staines to seal the opening point. Forbes and Hart have won six decisions in a row and 11 of 12 on the campaign.
Texas Tech took three singles first sets, including a pair of tiebreakers on Courts 3 and 5. The initial sets gathered by UCLA, however, proved enough with closeout performances by Goulak, Wolff and Forbes.
Goulak, who clinched the first-round win versus Grand Canyon, was first to finish Saturday. Her 6-2, 6-2 triumph over Bojana Marinkov on Court 6 represents her 12th in 13 completed matches.
Wolff also dropped just four total games en route to her victory on Court 4. The 6-1, 6-3 decision over Olivia Peet extended Wolff's personal winning streak to four and put the Bruins one point away from a cross-country trip.
No. 7 Forbes, who had just her second match of the season abandoned in the first round, put the finishing touches on the team win. Forbes' 6-3, 6-2 victory over Mays returned her to the win column and UCLA to the round of 16 for the third tournament in a row.
Tennis Match Results
Texas Tech vs UCLA
5/8/2021 at Los Angeles, CA
(Los Angeles Tennis Center)
#4 UCLA 4, #30 Texas Tech 0
1. #7 Abbey Forbes (UCLA) def. Lisa Mays (TTU) 6-3, 6-2
2. #50 Jada Hart (UCLA) vs. #85 Margarita Skriabina (TTU) 4-6, 5-2, unfinished
3. Elysia Bolton (UCLA) vs. Nell Miller (TTU) 6-7 (7-9), 0-2, unfinished
4. Vivian Wolff (UCLA) def. Olivia Peet (TTU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Abi Altick (UCLA) vs. Metka Komac (TTU) 6-7 (6-8), 2-1, unfinished
6. Annette Goulak (UCLA) def. Bojana Marinkov (TTU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Abbey Forbes/Jada Hart (UCLA) def. Lisa Mays/Kaitlin Staines (TTU) 6-1
2. Annette Goulak/Vivian Wolff (UCLA) vs. Olivia Peet/Margarita Skriabina (TTU) 5-3, unfinished
3. Abi Altick/Taylor Johnson (UCLA) def. Metka Komac/Nell Miller (TTU) 6-0
Texas Tech 16-9; National ranking #30
UCLA 21-4; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,4,1)
NCAA Championships - Second Round