Beavers Open Series At ASU Friday
GAME 47: Oregon State (31-15, 13-8) vs. Arizona State (28-15, 12-9)
May 14, 2021 • 6:30 p.m. PT • Phoenix, Ariz. • Phoenix Municipal Stadium
RHP Kevin Abel (3-3, 3.15) vs. RHP Tyler Thornton (1-3, 5.03)
Oregon State visits Arizona State for a three-game series starting Friday night in Phoenix. First pitch at Phoenix Municipal Stadium is set for 6:30 p.m. PT.
All games air on the Beaver Sports Network with pre-game 30 minutes before first pitch. Affiliates include KEJO 1240-AM (Corvallis), KKNX 840-AM (Eugene), KCFM 1250-AM & 104.1-FM (Florence), KLAD 960-AM & 93.3-FM (Klamath Falls), KTMT 880-AM & 96.1-FM (Medford, weekend games), Rip City Radio 620-AM (Portland), 102.3 FM (weekday games prior to 5:30 p.m.), KSKR 1490-AM (Roseburg) and KBZY 1490-AM (Salem, weekend games).
Catch the game online by visiting osubeavers.com, and find the live broadcast on the Oregon State baseball schedule page. The games can be heard via the TuneIn application, which is available for smartphones and tablets (search Beaver Sports Network).
The game will not be broadcast.
The game can also be found online by visiting OSUBeavers.com; click on the schedule link for a direct link to live video.
Live stats for the game can be accessed by clicking on the live stats link located on the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com.
Troy Claunch homered and doubled, driving in two, and OSU scored two in the ninth inning but the Beavers' rally fell just short in a 5-3 loss to USC on Sunday afternoon in Corvallis. Jake Dukart also drove in a run in the ninth with two down but the Trojans got out of jam on a fly ball to end the game.
Taking On Arizona State
• Friday's opener will mark the 90th all-time meeting between the teams, with Arizona State holding a 50-39 advantage.
• The Sun Devils are 29-16 in home dates. The Beavers, however, are 5-1 in the last six games in Phoenix, including a sweep in 2017.
• The teams are meeting in the month of May for the first time since 2010 when ASU won twice in the three-game series.
Claunch's Big Weekend
• Troy Claunch enters the series on a season-long seven-game hit streak where he is 9-for-25.
• Claunch posted four hits and five RBI in the series victory over USC. All four of his hits went for extra bases, including three doubles.
On The Road
• Oregon State's pitching staff has a 2.71 earned run average in 19 true road games this season.
• The staff has allowed just 112 hits in 173 innings, an average of 5.82 per nine innings
• OSU's pitchers have also struck out 212 on the road, an average of 11.02 per nine.
Speaking Of Strikeouts
• Despite striking out just 16 in the three games versus USC, the Beavers still comfortably lead the Pac-12 in strikeouts at 477.
• Number two in the Pac-12, Arizona, has struck out 426.
• The Beavers are the lone Pac-12 squad averaging better than 10 strikeouts per nine at 10.29.
• Arizona State, meanwhile, has struck out 336, or an average of 7.95 per nine.
• OSU comes into the series fourth in the Pac-12 but just 1 1/2 games out of first. Arizona State, at 12-9 in league play, is one game back of the Beavers.
• OSU is 21-6 when scoring first but 10-9 when an opponent does.
• The Beavers are tied for fifth nationally allowing just 6.7 hits per game.
• OSU also ranks tied for seventh at just 0.7 errors per game.