Big Series In Berkeley
BERKELEY – Looking to make a late-season push for the postseason, California will face rival Stanford four times in as many days, starting with the Big Series at Evans Diamond on May 14-16. The Bay Area squads will also play a non-conference game Monday night at Sunken Diamond. All three games of this weekend's Big Series in Berkeley will be streamed. Games two and three can be heard on KALX 90.7 FM.
The Golden Bears (24-21, 10-11) find themselves in seventh place in the Pac-12 standings and currently ranked 106th in RPI with 10 regular-season contests left on their schedule over the next three weeks. All 10 games will be played against teams with RPI rankings of 33rd or better (Stanford, 18th; UCLA, 33rd; Oregon, 10th).
No. 12 Stanford (27-10, 12-6) secured a key series win against Arizona at home last weekend and followed it up with an 8-7 victory against San José State Tuesday. Cal and Stanford already clashed once this spring when the Cardinal took a 4-3 non-conference win on April 6 on the Farm.
- Matchup: Cal (24-21, 10-11 Pac-12) vs. #12 Stanford (27-10, 12-6 Pac-12)
- Location: May 14-16: Evans Diamond, Berkeley, Calif. | May 17: Sunken Diamond, Stanford, Calif.
- First Pitch: Friday, 6 p.m. PDT | Saturday, 3 p.m. PDT | Sunday, 1 p.m. PDT | Monday, 6 p.m. PDT
- Watch: Cal Live Stream
- Live Stats: CalBears.com
- Listen: KALX 90.7 FM (Games 2 & 3 only)
- Projected rotation: Friday: RHP Josh White | Saturday: RHP Sean Sullivan | Sunday: RHP Grant Holman | Monday: TBA
EVANS DIAMOND ATTENDANCE
In accordance with public health guidelines, Cal Athletics is able to welcome a small number of student-athlete and coach guests to outdoor home events. Alameda County is in the state-designated Orange Tier (as of April 6), which limits facility capacity to a maximum of 33 percent. To meet these requirements, attendance will be limited to student-athlete and coach guest lists only. No tickets for general public use will be sold at athletic venues. Additional details on the state Blueprint for a Safer Economy can be found here.
- Friday's opener between Cal and Stanford marks their first Pac-12 clash in more than two years. The rivals twice played non-conference contests since their 2019 Pac-12 series; Cal won 8-4 in Berkeley on Feb. 25, 2020 and Stanford won 4-3 on the Farm on April 6, 2021.
- The Bears are seeking their first overall series win against the Cardinal since 2014 and its first home series win in the rivalry since 2009.
- Despite various injuries to its pitching staff throughout 2021, Cal has impressed on the mound with a 3.85 ERA that ranks fourth in the Pac-12. The Bears have held conference foes to five runs or less 16 times in 21 games played.
- Sophomore right-hander Josh White leads the Pac-12 in ERA (1.55) and has tossed 9.1 scoreless innings across two starts since joining the weekend rotation on April 30 at Washington. White has 59 strikeouts in 46.1 innings and owns a .198 average against.
- Do-it-all senior Darren Baker is 12 hits shy of the 200-hit milestone for his career with 10 regular-season games left.