No. 4 Water Polo Opens Play in NCAA Tourney vs. No. 7 Michigan
LOS ANGELES, CALIF-- After hosting the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation championship and placing fourth, Sun Devil water polo locked in a berth to play in the NCAA Championship tournament this week. During the NCAA selection show, the ASU was unveiled as an at-large bid with the #4 seed to play Michigan (21-4, 6-0) in the quarterfinal round on Friday at 2:00 PM MST. This is the third NCAA tournament appearance for the Sun Devils, and first since 2014.
The Sun Devils have faced Michigan earlier this season during the opening 15 game home stand as a part of the ASU Invitational tournament that took place in February. ASU took one of two games from the Wolverines, dropping the first game 10-12 and returning the favor in game two, defeating Big Blue 7-4, which was the lowest scoring game of the season for Michigan this season.
With a win, the Sun Devils would advance to the semifinal round and would face the winner of the USC vs. Marist game that is scheduled to take place at 12:00 PM MST.
Record Book Update: Bente Rogge is currently eighth all-time in career goals scored in program history, with 148. She sits behind Lynlee Smith who holds No. 7 all-time with 156 goals.
On Watch: Luca Petovary's 43 goals lead the team, and also have her on watch to advance in the record books for the all-time goals scored as a freshman. She currently sits at sixth, behind Anna Kertes and Shannon Haas who each have 47.
Game info: This quarterfinal game will take place at Spieker Aquatic Center in Los Angeles, California at 2:00 PM MST. There will be no tickets sold to the public, and the venue is closed to the public per the NCAA's rules.
Live Stream: https://www.ncaa.com/game/5833058
Live Stats: https://www.thefosh.net/live/10751
About the No. 7 Wolverines (21-4, 6-0):
- Michigan is currently ranked 7th in the Collegiate Water Polo Association week 14 polls.
- Michigan is currently on a 14 game win streak.
- This is the fifth consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance for Big Blue.
- They are 6-14 all-time when playing in the NCAA Tournament.
- The wolverines are 3-2 playing at a neutral site.
About the No. 4 Sun Devils (13-11, 6-6):
- The Sun Devils were ranked 4th in the CWPA week 14 polls.
- This is the 13th straight week of being in the top five rankings.
- Their No. 4 ranking is just the program's 21st time in this position.
- Bente Rogge, Amira Van Buren, and Luca Petovary all earned All-MPSF honors.
- ASU leads the all-time series over Michigan 9-5.
- Luca Petovary is fourth in the MPSF in goals with 43.
- Bente Rogge leads the NCAA in field blocks with 23, and Lara Kiss is fourth on that list with 18.
- Blaire McDowell is fourth in steals in the MPSF with 34, which is the ninth best in the NCAA.
- Chelsea Karimazondo has 149 saves on the season, which is fourth best in the NCAA.