Gameday: Baseball vs. Arizona (5/22/21)
GAME 52: Oregon State (32-19, 14-11) vs. Arizona (37-13, 20-8)
May 22, 2021 • 6:05 p.m. PT • Corvallis, Ore. • Goss Stadium at Coleman Field
LHP Cooper Hjerpe (2-5, 3.92) vs. LHP Garrett Irvin (5-1, 3.51)
Oregon State and Arizona continue their three-game series Saturday night at Goss Stadium at Coleman Field. First pitch is slated for 6:05 p.m. PT.
All games air on the Beaver Sports Network with pre-game 30 minutes before first pitch. Affiliates include KEJO 1240-AM (Corvallis), KKNX 840-AM (Eugene), KCFM 1250-AM & 104.1-FM (Florence), KLAD 960-AM & 93.3-FM (Klamath Falls), KTMT 880-AM & 96.1-FM (Medford, weekend games), Rip City Radio 620-AM (Portland), 102.3 FM (weekday games prior to 5:30 p.m.), KSKR 1490-AM (Roseburg) and KBZY 1490-AM (Salem, weekend games).
Catch the game online by visiting osubeavers.com, and find the live broadcast on the Oregon State baseball schedule page. The games can be heard via the TuneIn application, which is available for smartphones and tablets (search Beaver Sports Network).
The game will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Networks. Rich Burk and Bill Rowe will call the action.
Subscribers to the Pac-12 Networks can watch the game online at pac-12.com or by using the Pac-12 Now app on smartphones and tablets.
Live stats for the game can be accessed by clicking on the live stats link located on the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com.
Wade Meckler and Ryan Ober each had two hits and Jake Dukart drove in two runs but Arizona won game one of the series, 12-4, Friday night at Goss Stadium. Dukart's two-run double in the sixth evened the game at four but the Wildcats scored the game's final eight runs for the finishing tally.
Senior/Grad Day Saturday
• Oregon State will be honoring 11 student-athletes prior to Saturday's game. The ceremony will start at approximately 5:30 p.m. PT.
• Three of the 11 are seniors. They are: Andy Armstrong, Preston Jones and Jake Mulholland.
• Additonally, eight other Beavers will be recognized for recently receiving their degree or who will be in the near future. Those eight are: Kevin Abel, Nathan Burns, Joe Casey, Troy Claunch, Cole Hamilton, Kyler McMahan, Ryan Ober and Mitchell Verburg.
At 49 Home Runs
• Oregon State now has 49 home runs on the year and is looking to become the fifth Beaver team since 2000 to tally 50 or more in the regular season. OSU did so in 2000 (58), 2001 (53), 2002 (54) and 2018 (52). The 2018 club ended the season with 67 after hitting 15 in the postseason.
- The 2021 Beavers have hit 13 home runs over their last seven games. That includes nine in the three-game series versus Arizona State.
• Troy Claunch singled in a 1-for-4 effort in the series opener versus Arizona, extending his hit streak to a season-long 12 games.
• It is the longest by a Beaver this season.
• Claunch is 18-for-48 (.375) with four doubles, three home runs and 11 RBI during the season.
• Wade Meckler's hit streak now stands at seven games while Jake Dukart's double pushed his to five games.
• Oregon State's starters have now struck out 264 in 219 2/3 innings this season. That's 10.81 strikeouts per nine innings.
• Kevin Abel struck out nine, leaving him with 99 on the year. He is one shy of the 15th 100-strikeout season by an Oregon State pitcher.
• OSU is 22-8 when scoring first.