USC Swimmers Head to Omaha For Wave II Olympic Trials
A host of Trojans will be vying to represent the United States in Tokyo when they compete at the U.S. Olympic Swimming Trials June 13-20 in Omaha, Nebraska. A total of five USC swimmers – past and present – will be in the pool over the eight days of racing.
USC Swim will be well represented at Wave II as alum Haley Anderson (two-time Team U.S.A Olympian) and four current Trojans (Isabelle Odgers, Kaitlyn Dobler, Harry Homans, Ivan Puskovitch) will be competing in the pool over the next week.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the trials have been split into two meets for the first time. What is being called Wave I was held June 4-7 and consisted of qualifiers who were seeded 42nd and below in an event as of January 2021. Those swimmers whose times were seeded 41st and above at that date, or who met or surpassed that time after it was established, are entered into what has been termed Wave II. Swimmers who qualified for events in both waves will only compete in the June 13-20 Wave II.
Roughly 30 athletes competed in each event during the Wave I competition, with the top-two finishers in each event qualifying to the Wave II meet, where the U.S. squad for this summer's Olympic Games in Tokyo will be selected. Wave I was swam in a prelims-finals format, while Wave II will adopt the format used for the Olympic Games and past Trials, with prelims, semifinals and finals held for all events 200 meters and under. Events 400 meters and up will feature a prelims-finals setup.
Prelims will begin at 8 a.m. PST, with June 13-17 finals beginning at 4:45 p.m. PST, June 18-19 finals beginning at 5:45 p.m. PST, and June 20 finals at 5 p.m. PST.
NBC and NBCSN are the networks televising Wave II. The broadcast schedule can be found here. Live results from Wave II will be available here.
USC at the Trials:
Wave II 2021 U.S. Olympic Swimming Team Trials Qualifiers (June 13-20, Omaha, Neb.)
Name – Event (Qualifying Time) – Seed
- Isabelle Odgers (Senior) – 200 LCM Breast (2:27.67) – 18th, 200 LCM IM (2:14.98) – 26th, 100 LCM Breast (1:09.23) – 29th
- Kaitlyn Dobler (Sophomore) – 100 LCM Breast (1:06.97) – 5th, 200 LCM Breast (2:30.37) – 39th, 50 LCM Free (25.68) – 46th, 100 LCM Fly (1:00.44) – 54th
- Harry Homans (Junior) – 200 LCM Fly (1:58.18) – 23rd, 200 LCM Back (2:01.37) – 40th, 100 LCM Fly (53.82) – 56th
- Ivan Puskovitch (Junior) – 1500 LCM Free (15:32.93) – 26th, 400 LCM IM (4:22.53) – 29th, 400 LCM Free (3:55.11) – 35th, 800 LCM Free (8:11.57) – 52nd
- Haley Anderson (Alum) – 400 LCM Free (4:07.77) – 7th, 1500 LCM Free (16:11.73) – 7th, 800 LCM Free (8:27.63) – 9th
Wave I 2021 U.S. Olympic Swimming Team Trials Qualifiers (June 4-7, Omaha, Neb.) –
Name – Event (Qualifying Time / Event Standard) – Finish
- Dominic Margarino – 400 LCM Free (4:03.25) – 15th
- Owen Kao – 400 LCM Free (4:10.40) – 23rd
- Max Saunders – 100 LCM Free (50.80) –14th
- Caroline Famous – 100 LCM Back (1:05.15) –43rd
- Hugh Svendsen – 200 LCM Back (2:03.98) – 18th
- Scott Sobolewski – 100 LCM Breast (1:04.76) – 77th
2021 U.S. Olympic Diving Team Trials (June 6-13, Indianapolis, Ind.)
Name – Event (Finish - Score)
- Nike Agunbiade – Platform (13th in semifinals – 500.50), 3-Meter (20th – 221.05)
- Savannah Stocker – Platform (20th – 220.45)