Jewett And Terry Advance To U.S. Track & Field Semifinals
Isaiah Jewett in the men's 800m and TeeTee Terry in the women's 100m dash advanced to event semifinals at the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials being held at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore. today (June 18). In addition, Trojan alumni Michael Norman, Allyson Felix, Kendall Ellis, Jaide Stepter Baynes, Conor McCullough and Alex Collatz Sellens kept their Olympic dreams alive.
- One week after winning the NCAA 800m title on the same track, Jewett won his 800m qualifying heat with a time of 1:47.83 to advance to the semifinal tomorrow. His time was sixth overall among the qualifiers.
- The day for the Trojans ended with TeeTee Terry qualifying for the women's 100m dash semifinals tomorrow. She finished fifth in her heat and qualified ninth overall with a time of 11.14 (+1.1).
- The first Trojans to compete were the shot putters Matthew Katnik and McKay Johnson. Katnik had a best mark of 64-0.25 (19.51m) to finish 13th, missing the cut for the finals by six inches. Johnson had a best throw of 57-11.75 (17.67m) to finish 23rd.
- Conor McCullough finished seventh in the men's hammer throw qualifying with a best throw of 236-7 (72.11m) to advance to the finals on Sunday. Nathan Bultman had a throw of 220-9 (67.28m) to finish 18th.
- Alex Collatz Sellens took 9th in the women's discus throw qualifying with a mark of 189-3 (57.69m). She advances to the final on Saturday.
- Allyson Felix, Kendal Ellis and Jaide Stepter Baynes qualified for the women's 400m semifinal tomorrow, Felix won her qualifying heat with a time of 50.99 and Ellis her's with a time of 51.02. Stepter Baynes finished third in the first heat with a time of 51.21 to also automatically advance. Bailey Lear had a time of 53.54 to finish sixth in her heat and 27th overall. Felix was fourth, Ellis fifth and Stepter Baynes seventh among the qualifiers.
- Morgan Smalls finished 13th in the women's high jump with a clearance of 5-11.50 (1.82m).
- Michael Norman took second in his men's 400m dash qualifying heat with a time of 45.21 to automatically advance to the semifinal tomorrow. His time was fourth among the qualifiers.
# # # # #