Jewett, Norman, Ellis & Cockrell Advance To Finals At U.S. Olympic Team Trials
Isaiah Jewett in the men's 800m, Michael Norman in the men's 400m and Kendall Ellis and Allyson Felix in the women's 400m all advanced to event finals to lead the past and present Trojan athletes at the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials being held at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore. today (June 19). In addition, Anna Cockrell advanced to the women's 100m hurdles semifinal.
- Jewett automatically advanced to the men's 800m final by placing third in his semifinal heat with a time of 1:46.18. His time was third overall among the qualifiers. He will compete on Monday for a chance to earn a berth on the U.S. Olympic Team.
- Ellis (USC 2018) and Felix (USC 2008) finished first and second in the first women's 400m semifinal to automatically advance to tomorrow's event final and a chance to make the U.S. Olympic Team. Ellis had a time of 50.83 and Felix a time of 51.01, which were fifth and sixth overall among the qualifiers. Jaide Stepter Baynes (USC 2016) had a time of 51.77 to finish fifth in the same heat and 10th overall.
- Norman (USC 2018) won his men's 400m semifinal with a time of 44.73 to automatically advance to the final tomorrow and a chance to make the U.S. Olympic Team. His time ended up being second overall among the qualifiers.
- Cockrell won her women's 100m hurdles qualifying heat with a time of 12.63 (+1.0) to automatically advance to the semifinal tomorrow. Jasmine Jones stumbled before the second hurdle, then crashed through it and could not complete her heat. Dior Hall (USC 2019) finished fifth in the same heat with a season-best time of 12.99 (+0.1) and finished 18th overall. Cockrell had the fourth-fastest time among the qualifiers.
- TeeTee Terry finished fifth in her women's 100m semifinal heat and 10th overall with a time of 11.04 (+2.5w). The final qualifier for the final tonight had a time of 11.02.
- Alex Collatz Sellens placed seventh in the women's discus throw finals with a best mark of 190-0 (57.91m).
# # # # #