Three Lottery picks headline Pac-12's four selections in 2021 NBA Draft
SAN FRANCISCO - Pac-12 Men's Basketball saw four former standouts selected in the 2021 NBA Draft on Thursday night, including a national-best three lottery picks.
𝗠𝗢𝗦𝗧 𝗟𝗢𝗧𝗧𝗘𝗥𝗬 𝗣𝗜𝗖𝗞𝗦 𝗢𝗙 𝗔𝗡𝗬 𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗙𝗘𝗥𝗘𝗡𝗖𝗘.
— Pac-12 Conference (@pac12) July 30, 2021
2021 Pac-12 Player, Defensive Player and Freshman of the Year Evan Mobley of USC was the first Conference standout chosen with the No. 3 overall pick by the Cleveland Cavaliers.
— USC Men's Basketball (@USC_Hoops) July 30, 2021
- At No. 3 overall, Mobley equals the highest-ever Draft pick for USC, matching O.J. Mayo in 2008, and is the fifth top-10 selection in program history including the second straight year with a Trojan going top 10 (Onyeka Okongwu, No. 6, Atlanta).
- It marks the fifth Draft pick for USC in the last four years. It's the first time in the modern Draft era (1989) that the Trojans have had a player chosen in four consecutive years.
The Conference had multiple top-10 selections for the first time since 2017 when STANFORD's Ziaire Williams, an honorable mention All-Freshman Team performer in 2021, came off the board at No. 10 overall to the New Orleans Pelicans with an expected trade to the Memphis Grizzlies.
— Stanford Men's Basketball (@StanfordMBB) July 30, 2021
- At No. 10 overall, Williams is Stanford's highest pick since Brook Lopez in 2008, and the program's first First Round selection since Josh Huestis in 2014.
- It is the third pick in as many years for Stanford, which saw KZ Okpala (2019) and Tyrell Terry (2020) selected in the past two Drafts.
- Marks the first time since 2002 the Cardinal have had a Draft pick at least three straight years.
The Conference saw a third Lottery selection for the seventh time in the modern Draft era and first time since 2017 with OREGON's Chris Duarte going to the Indiana Pacers at No. 13 overall.
— Oregon Men's Basketball (@OregonMBB) July 30, 2021
- At No. 13 overall, Duarte is Oregon's highest pick since Luke Jackson went 10th overall in 2004.
- Duarte is the ninth total Draft pick for Oregon under Dana Altman, including the first Lottery selection, third in the First Round (Troy Brown 2018, Payton Pritchard 2020), and seventh overall in the past five Drafts.
- Seventh time with three Pac-12 selections in NBA Draft Lottery (2021, 2017, 2016, 2009, 2008, 2004, 1994).
ARIZONA STATE freshman Josh Christopher went No. 24 overall to the Houston Rockets.
JAYGUP to H-TOWN
— Sun Devil MBB (@SunDevilHoops) July 30, 2021
- It marks ASU's first Draft pick since 2013 and its highest and first in the first round since James Harden at No. 3 overall in 2009.
|Round / Pick||Player||School||NBA Team|
|1 / 3||Evan Mobley||USC||Cleveland Cavaliers|
|1 / 10||Ziaire Williams||Stanford||New Orleans Pelicans
(trade to Memphis Grizzlies)
|1 / 13||Chris Duarte||Oregon||Indiana Pacers|
|1 / 24||Josh Christopher||Arizona State||Houston Rockets|