Trojans At Tokyo Olympics Day 4: Men's Water Polo Players Roll; April Ross Wins 2nd Match
On a rainy day (Tuesday, July 27) in Tokyo, most Trojan Olympians competed in indoor sports on Day 4 of the 2020 Olympics.
- In the only outdoor event by a Trojan on Tuesday, USC beach volleyballer April Ross and her partner, Alix Klineman, defeated Spain's Liliana Fernandez Steiner and Elsa Baquerizo McMillan, 21-13, 21-16, to improve to 2-0 in group play. Ross had match bests of 15 kills, 11 digs and 4 aces. The duo next faces the Netherlands' Sanne Keizer and Madelein Meppelink on Thursday (July 29) at 5 p.m. PT (9 a.m. JT on July 30) in their final match of group play.
- In men's water polo, the U.S. team—with Trojans Hannes Daube and Marko Vavic — posted a decisive 20-3 victory over South Africa in a prelim match. Daube scored twice and Vavic once. The U.S. (2-0) continues prelim play when it meets Italy on Wednesday (July 28) at 10:10 p.m. PT (2:10 p.m. JT on July 29).
- Two matches later, Greece finished in a 6-6 tie with Italy. Trojan Kostas Genidounias had 1 goal. The Greeks (1-0-1) now face Japan on Thursday (July 29) at 2:20 a.m. PT (6:20 p.m. JT).
- Australia downed Croatia, 11-8, in the last men's water polo match of the day. Of the three Trojans on the Aussie (1-1) squad, Blake Edwards scored 2 goals, his brother Lachlan played but did not score and goalie Joel Dennerley did not see action. Australia next meets Serbia on Thursday (July 29) at 3:50 a.m. PT (7:50 p.m. JT) in continued preliminary round play.
- In the morning swimming events, Hungary's Katinka Hosszu, looking to defend her 2016 Olympic gold medal in the event, was seventh in the semifinal of the 200m individual medley with a time of 2:10.22. She'll swim in the finals on Tuesday (July 27) at 7:45 p.m. PT (11:45 a.m. JT on July 28).
- Robert Glinta of Romania was eighth in the 100m backstroke final in 52.95.
- Then, in the evening swim, Dylan Carter of Trinidad and Tobago placed 22nd in 48.66 and Nikola Miljenic of Croatia was 28th in a personal best of 49.25, but neither advanced in the 100m freestyle.
- Victor Johansson of Sweden tied for 10th in the 800m freestyle in a personal best of 7:49.14, but did not move on.
- Hosszu was entered in the 200m butterfly, but did not swim.
- Amy Okonkwo, who played on the USC women's basketball team in 2015 before transferring, scored 2 points and had a rebound and a steal in Nigeria's 81-72 loss to the U.S. Next up for the Nigerians: France on Friday (July 30) at 1:45 a.m. PT (5:45 p.m. on July 31).
Sixty-five past, present and future USC students are competing at the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, far more than any school in the nation this Olympics and the Trojans' most ever in a single Olympics. The Trojans represent 32 National Olympic Committees in 12 different sports.