Trojans At Tokyo Olympics Day 9: Andre De Grasse Wins USC's 3rd Medal; Isaiah Jewett Lauded For Sportsmanship
As the Olympic swimming competition concluded, the track action heated up on Day 9 (Sunday, Aug. 1, in Tokyo) of the 2020 Olympics, as Andre De Grasse took a bronze and Rai Benjamin moved on to the final and all four women's water polo teams with Trojans on the roster advanced to quarterfinal play.
- On the track, Andre De Grasse (USC 2015) took third in the men's 100m final with a personal best of 9.89 (+0.1) to earn a bronze medal, matching to one he earned in the event at the 2016 Rio Olympics. De Grasse advanced to the 100m final earlier in the day by taking second in his semifinal heat with a time of 9.98 (-0.1). De Grasse now has earned three bronze medals and one silver medal in his Olympic career. Read more about De Grasse's medal here
— Olympics (@Olympics) August 1, 2021
- Michael Norman (USC 2018) cruised to a second-place finish in his men's 400m heat and was 14th on time among the qualifiers to the semifinal on Aug. 2 at 4:05 a.m. PT.
- Isaiah Jewett (USC 2021) had heartbreak in the men's 800m as he was tripped with about 150 meters remaining in the race which sent him down onto the track. He was in great striking position at that point in third place, but once he got up and jogged in with the athlete who accidently trip him, he finished seventhin his heat with a time of 2:38.12.
— #TokyoOlympics (@NBCOlympics) August 1, 2021
- Rai Benjamin placed second in his men's 400m hurdles semifinal with a time of 47.37 to automatically advance to the event final on Aug. 2 at 8:20 p.m. PT. His time was third among the qualifiers for the final.
- Women's water polo concluded group play. In the day's first match involving Trojans, Netherlands defeated Canada, 16-12. USC's Maud Megens scored twice for Netherlands, while Hayley McKelvey had 2 goals and Joelle Bekhazi had 1 goal for Canada. Netherlands (3-1) now will meet Hungary on Tuesday (Aug. 3) at 2:20 a.m. PT (6:20 p.m. JT) in the quarterfinals. Canada moves into the quarters to face the U.S.—which features four Trojans—on Monday (Aug. 2) at 10 p.m. PT (2 p.m. JT on Aug. 3).
- In the final group play match in women's water polo, Australia dominated South Africa, 14-1. Trojan Hannah Buckling scored once, but Tilly Kearns did not score. Australia now advances to quarterfinal play against ROC (Russian Olympic Committee) on Tuesday (Aug. 3) at 3:50 a.m. PT (7:50 p.m. JT). Also in quarterfinal play, Spain (with USC's Anni Espar) will face China on Monday (Aug. 2) at 11:30 p.m. PT (3:30 p.m. on Aug. 3).
- On the final day of the swimming events, Poland's Katarzyna Wilk-Wasick was fifth in the 50m freestyle final in 24.32.
- Trojan Louise Hansson swam the third (butterfly) leg on Sweden's 400m medley relay that was fifth in the final in 3:54.27.
- In the knockout Round of 16 in beach volleyball, Trojan Tina Graudina of Latvia and partner Anastasina Kravcenoka rallied late to overcome Nadezda Makroguzova and Svetlana Kholomina of ROC (Russian Olympic Committee), 16-21, 21-17, 15-13. The Latvians were down 12-9 in the third set before scoring 6 of the match's final 7 points. Graudina had 14 kills, 6 digs, 4 blocks and an ace. Latvia now will meet Canada's Heather Bansely and Brandie Wilkerson in a quarterfinal match either late on Aug. 2 or early on Aug. 3 with the time to be determined.
- Earlier, USC's Kelly Claes and partner Sarah Sponcil were eliminated in the Round of 16 by Canada's Bansley and Wilkerson, 22-24, 21-18, 15-13. The Americans had a 10-4 lead in the second set, but couldn't hold on. Claes had 29 kills, 3 aces and 2 blocks, all match highs, along with 6 digs.
- The Israel baseball team defeated Mexico in bracket play, 12-5. Ben Wanger, who played at USC in 2020 before transferring, pitched a perfect ninth inning in relief. Israel now plays Republic of Korea on Sunday (Aug. 1) at 8 p.m. PT (noon JT on Aug. 2) in bracket play.
- The U.S. men's volleyball team fell to Argentina, 25-21, 25-23, 25-23, in their final match of group play. USC's Micah Christenson had 32 assists and 5 digs. The Americans (2-3) do not advance to the quarterfinals.