Trojans At Tokyo Olympics Day 10: Several Athletes Progress Through Knockout Rounds
Day 10 (Monday, Aug. 2, in Tokyo) of the 2020 Olympics saw Trojans in track, beach volleyball and water polo move on to the next round of competition, while several others ended their Tokyo Olympic experience.
- In track, USC's Michael Norman of the U.S. was fifth in the 400m semifinals (second in his heat) in 44.52 and advances to the final on Thursday (Aug. 5) at 5 a.m. PT (9 p.m. JT).
- Four Trojans ran in the women's 400m semifinals and three advanced to the final despite the semis being held in a torrential downpour. Dalilah Muhammad of the U.S., the defending Olympic gold medalist, was second in the semis (first in her heat) at 53.30, while Anna Cockrell of the U.S. was fifth (second in her heat) in 54.17 and graduate student Gianna Woodruff of Panama was sixth (second in her heat) in a Panamanian record time of 54.22, with all advancing to the final on Tuesday (Aug. 3) at 7:30 p.m. PT (11:30 a.m. JT on Aug. 4). Norway's Amalie Iuel was originally disqualified for a false start but appealed to the judge that she jumped because of a noise in the stands and was allowed to compete after being given a yellow card; however, she ran a 57.61 to finish 21st (eighth in her heat) and did not advance.
- In beach volleyball, USC's April Ross and partner Alix Klineman posted a 21-17, 21-15 Round of 16 victory over Cuba's Lidianny Echevarria Benitez and Leila Consuelo Martinez Ortega. Ross had a game-high 14 kills along with 5 digs. Next up for the U.S. duo is a quarterfinal match against Germany's Laura Ludwig and Margareta Kozuch on Aug. 2 at 5 p.m. PT (9 a.m. JT on Aug. 3).
- Trojan Tri Bourne and partner Jake Gibb were knocked out of the men's beach volleyball competition in the Round of 16 with a 17-21, 21-15, 15-11 loss to Germany's Julius Thole and Clemens Wickler. Bourne had 8 kills, a match-best 12 digs and 2 aces. It was the first-ever tournament that Bourne and the 45-year-old Gibb (the oldest Olympic beach volleyball player ever) had played together. Bourne was added to the 2020 Olympics on July 22 as a substitute partner for Gibb when Gibb's regular partner tested positive for COVID.
- In men's water polo, Greece downed the U.S., 14-5 in both squads' final game of group play. USC's Kostas Genidounias of Greece had a match-best 5 goals, while neither of the American Trojans—Hannes Daube and Marko Vavic—scored. Both teams now will move on to quarterfinal play. Greece (4-0-1) finished atop its group and will meet Montenegro on Tuesday (Aug. 3) at 11:30 p.m. PT (3:30 p.m. JT on Aug. 4) in the quarterfinals, while the U.S. (2-3) faces Spain in the opening match of the quarterfinals on Tuesday (Aug. 3) at 10 p.m. PT (2 p.m. JT on Aug. 4).
- Australia closed out the group play for men's water polo by defeating Kazakhstan, 15-7. USC's Blake Edwards scored 3 goals and his brother Lachlan added a goal, while goalie Joel Dennerley made 12 saves. However, Australia (2-3) did not advance into the quarterfinals
- Israel lost to Republic of Korea, 11-1, in Round 2 bracket play in baseball. Ben Wanger, who played at USC in 2020 before transferring, played the last two innings at first base for Israel (he made 3 putouts) but did not get an at-bat. Israel now plays Dominican Republic in a Round 1 repechage contest on Tuesday (Aug. 3) at 3 a.m. PT (7 p.m. JT), with the loser eliminated.
- Nigeria's women's basketball team fell to host Japan, 102-83, in its final game of group play. Amy Okonkwo, who played on the USC women's basketball team in 2015 before transferring, had 2 points and 2 rebounds. The Nigerians (0-3) will not advance to the quarterfinals.