Chase Garbers On Manning Award Watch List
NEW ORLEANS – Chase Garbers was selected Thursday for the first time in his career to the preseason watch list for the Manning Award sponsored by the Allstate Sugar Bowl. The honor is given annually to the nation's top quarterback.
Below are notes on Garbers with an extended bio available by clicking on his name.
Chase Garbers, QB, 6-2, 225, Sr., 5th Season At Cal, Oceanside, CA (Corona del Mar HS)
2021 Honors – All-Pac-12 Honorable Mention Preseason (Pro Football Focus); Manning Award Preseason Watch List; Pac-12 Media Day Representative
– Has started 23 of the 25 games he has played in and posted a 14-9 record as Cal's starting quarterback while he is 14-5 in games which he has started and played more than half of the contest
– Leads all active Pac-12 quarterbacks with 14 career wins as a starter while his 23 career starts rank second behind only UCLA's Dorian Thompson-Robinson (24)
– Has completed 375-of-611 passes (61.4%) for 4049 yards with 34 touchdowns and 16 interceptions for a 130.17 passer efficiency rating that ranks 11th on Cal's all-time list
– Has also rushed for 718 yards and seven touchdowns on 227 carries and is closing in on quarterback career school records in rushing yards (931, Joe Kapp) and rushing touchdowns (9, Brian Bedford and Dave Penhall)
– Named the 2019 Redbox Bowl Offensive MVP
The Manning Award was created by the Allstate Sugar Bowl in honor of the college football accomplishments of Archie, Peyton and Eli Manning. It is the only quarterback award that includes the candidates' bowl performances in its balloting. Finalists will be selected prior to the postseason and the winner will be announced following the College Football Playoff National Championship.