Soccer Is Back At Edwards
BERKELEY – The California men's soccer team returns to Goldman Field at Edwards Stadium to host Sacramento State on Friday at 1 p.m.as the Golden Bears open exhibition play for the 2021 fall season. On Sunday at 7 p.m., Cal plays at San Jose State in an exhibition at Spartan Stadium.
The Bears host their final exhibition on Aug. 20 vs. San Francisco and then start the regular season on Aug. 26 at Saint Mary's. After another road game Aug. 29 at UC Santa Barbara, Cal plays its first regular-season home game on Sept. 3 against Dixie State.
Games at Edwards Stadium are open to the public. For the 2021 fall season, all non-conference games will be free of charge. Tickets will be available for purchase on game day for all conference games. Admission for conference games is $10 for adults, $5 for seniors and $5 for youth. For more information, please visit the CalBears.com ticket page or text/call the Gold Standard Sales and Service team at (800) GO BEARS (462-3277).
Fans are encouraged to wear masks at Edwards Stadium, as the wearing of masks is an important tool in fighting COVID-19.
The live stream of Friday's exhibition game is available by clicking here, and fans can follow Twitter updates of Friday's game at @CalMSoc. Live stats for Sunday's game are available here.
About the Bears
- Under head coach Kevin Grimes, Cal posted a 4-5-1 record in the truncated spring season. The Bears got hot midway through the campaign, going 3-0-1 at one point to challenge for postseason consideration.
- Among the Bears back this season are spring 2021 All-Pac-12 honorees Christopher Grey (first team), Alonzo Del Mundo (honorable mention), JJ Foe Nuphaus (honorable mention) and Ian Lonergan (honorable mention).
- Midfield maestro Francisco Perez, who was an All-Pac-12 second-team selection in the spring, has graduated.
- Along with his All-Pac-12 honor, forward Alonzo Del Mundo (1 goal, 1 assist) earned a spot on the United Soccer Coaches All-Far West Region second team.
- Forward Jonathan Estrada paced the Bears in points (8) and goals (3) and tied for the team high in assists (2) with forward Nate Carrasco.
- Goalkeeper Collin Travasos shone in his debut season, notching three shutouts and a 1.59 goals-against average.
- Both Travasos and forward Arman Samimi (1 goal, 1 assist) earned Pac-12 Player of the Week honors last season.
- Kevin Grimes, Cal's all-time leader with 208 victories, is in his 22nd season as head coach
About the Hornets
- Sacramento State played a five-game exhibition season in the spring of 2021.
- In their last regular season, the Hornets went 7-9-2 in 2019.
- Midfielder Oscar Govea, the team's leading scorer in 2019 (4 goals, 4 assists, 12 points) is back for the Hornets.
- Goalkeeper Ryan Curtis, who had a 1.58 GAA and made 61 saves in 2019, also returns.
- Defenders Genaro Alfaro and Jaime Robles were named to the 2019 Big West All-Freshman team.
- Michael Linenberger is in his 33rd season as Sacramento State's head coach
About the Spartans
- San Jose State posted a 5-1-3 record – including 3-0-1 on the road – last season.
- Midfielder Max Allen (5 assists) and forward Rudi Castro (5 goals, 10 assists) earned All-WAC first-team honors in the spring.
- Castro led the team in points (20).
- Goalkeeper David Sweeney posted a 1.25 GAA and one shutout in the spring.
- SJSU ended last season against Air Force in the WAC quarterfinals, falling to the Falcons on penalties, 4-3, after the game remained tied, 2-2, after overtime.
- Simon Tobin is in his eighth season as head coach of San Jose State.
Cal hosts San Francisco on Aug. 20 at 1 p.m. on Goldman Field in the Bears' third and final exhibition game of the preseason.