Aztecs Host CSUN for Season Opener
CSUN (0-0-0, 0-0-0) at (RV) San Diego State (0-0-0, 0-0-0)
Thursday, August 26 | 7 p.m. PT | SDSU Sports Deck | San Diego, Calif.
Media Coverage: Aztec Digital Network | Live Stats
Promotions: Sandals Giveaway (First 200 fans) | Free Pizza (First 100 students)
· SDSU is receiving votes in the United Soccer Coaches preseason poll. Three Pac-12 teams are ranked (No. 8 Stanford, No. 9 Washington and No. 16 Oregon State).
· The Aztecs return eight starters from a season ago, including all three of their all-Pac-12 honorees (Andre Ochoa, Blake Bowen and Iñigo Villaldea).
· SDSU brings back 82 percent of their scoring and 87 percent of their points from last year.
· SDSU has nine newcomers (seven freshmen and two transfers). The Aztecs added three defenders, three midfielders, two forwards and one goalkeeper. Four of the incoming Aztecs are international recruits, hailing from Australia, Denmark, Netherlands and Slovenia. Rik Regeling (Netherlands) was listed by Top Drawer Soccer as one of their ten "International Players to Watch."
· The Aztecs have 16 underclassmen and just four seniors.
· After playing a Pac-12 exclusive schedule last year, SDSU will play seven non-conference matches this season, six of which will be against schools from the Big West or WCC.
· SDSU only has two matches outside of California (at Washington and Oregon State).
Coach Hopkins' Take on CSUN
CSUN will be a good side. They are very technical and have a lot of skillful players who can handle the ball so we will have to be organized defensively with our press to cause them problems. I'm excited for the matchup. It will be a good challenge for us to open up the season. CSUN should be one of the top teams in the Big West, they always are."
Opponent Notebook (CSUN)
CSUN, like the rest of the Big West, did not play in 2020... They went 8-8-3 in 2019 and 2-3-2 in conference.. CSUN was picked to finish fifth in the Big West preseason poll... Giovanni Aguilar and Omar Grey were selected to the Big West Preseason All-Conference Team. Aguilar is a two-time honorable mention All-Conference selection while Grey scored two goals and had one assist during the 2019 season... CSUN fell at home to San Diego 2-1 despite holding a 15-4 advantage in shots... Head coach Terry Davila is in his 23rd season at the helm of the Matadors... Davila is a six-time Big West Coach of the Year and has led CSUN to seven NCAA tournament appearances... He is 202-161-54 in his CSUN career... The Aztecs are 8-12-2 all-time against CSUN but haven't met since 2002.
Attendees at Aztec men's and women's soccer matches at the SDSU Sports Deck will be expected to adhere to the following guidelines.
· Facial Coverings – Facial coverings are strongly recommended for all fans but not required for vaccinated individuals. Unvaccinated individuals may remove facial coverings if a distance of six feet from others can be maintained.
· Open Seating – Seats will not be assigned at the SDSU Sports Deck. Fans may sit where they'd like to enjoy the match.
· Hand Sanitization Stations – A hand sanitizing station will be set up at the entrance of the SDSU Sports Deck.
· Interaction with Coaches & Student-Athletes – There will be no fan interaction with coaches or student-athletes at this time. This includes family members and friends of individuals participating in competition. Teams will depart to the locker room post-game without interacting with event attendees. As a result, teams will not hold autograph sessions this season.
· Free admission – Admission is free for all regular-season home soccer matches at the SDSU Sports Deck.
· Stay Home if Sick – While we are excited to have you back at our events, please do not come to campus if you do not feel well. Remain home to monitor your symptoms and seek medical attention as needed.