USC Women's Volleyball Sweeps Campbell For First Win
Aug 28, 2021
LOS ANGELES – The USC women's volleyball team (1-1) swept Campbell (0-2) in three sets (25-23, 25-6, 25-14) in the fourth match of the Trojan Invitational at Galen Center for the team's first win of the season on Saturday, Aug. 28.
- Gr. OH Brooke Botkin led the USC attack with 15 kills (3e, 29att) and hit .414 to go with four digs and a service ace.
- Jr. OPP Emilia Weske tallied nine kills (3e, 18att) with a .333 hitting percentage and put up four blocks and an ace.
- Gr. libero Shannon Scully led all players with 17 digs and added a pair of service aces.
- Sr. setter Raquel Lázaro dished out 26 assists and added four digs, three service aces, and a block.
- Sr. OH Brooklyn Schirmer received 20 serves and finished with six kills (2e, 13att, .308), six digs, and two service aces.
- For the Camels, Melody Paige led the offense with seven kills. Lailah Green added six kills and led the defensive effort with seven digs. Chloe Cook scored on two service aces and added two kills.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Women of Troy outscored the Camels, 54.0 to 28.0, and out-hit Campbell, .338 to .000. The Trojans had 38 kills (11e) on 80 attacks to CU's 23 kills (23e) on 89 swings. USC also out-dug Campbell, 36-27, and had nine service aces.
- USC led by as many as eight points (19-11) in the first set and held off the Camels to grab set point at 24-20, but a 3-0 run by Campbell gave the Trojans pause before Botkin's third kill of the frame closed out a 25-23 win.
- The Women of Troy raced out to an 8-0 lead in the second set behind the serving of Lázaro and were never threatened en route to a 25-6 win. USC hit .409 (11-2-22) and produced five service aces to go to 2-0 in the match.
- History repeated itself in the third set as Lázaro served the Trojans to another 8-0 lead. USC staved off Campbell's comeback attempts and went on top by 10 to seize control of the match, 20-10. Botkin lit up the scorebook with eight kills, no errors, and .800 hitting in the frame; and the Trojans put up three blocks and held the Camels to a .061 attack rate for a 25-14 win to put the 3-0 sweep into the books.
- The Women of Troy return to action at Galen Center at 7:30 p.m. PT against CSUN (1-1) to close the 2021 Trojan Invitational. The match will be streamed live.
- USC and Campbell met for the first time.
- The Trojans earned their first win of the season and improved to 172-46 all-time at Galen Center.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.