Beavers Open 2021 Season At Purdue
GAME 1: OREGON STATE VS. PURDUE
September 4, 2021 • West Lafayette, Ind. • Ross-Ade Stadium • 4:00 p.m. PT • FS1
Series Record: OSU leads, 1-0
Last Meeting: None
First Meeting: 1967 (W, 22-14)
Streak: Won 1
Last 10: 1-0
In Corvallis: None
In West Lafayette: OSU leads, 1-0
Neutral site: None
Play-By-Play: Cory Provus
Analyst: Robert Smith
Radio: Beaver Sports Network (TuneIn)
Play-By-Play: Mike Parker
Analyst: Jim Wilson
Sideline: Ron Callan
Pre-Game: Steve Preece
SiriusXM Radio: 113 (Sirius), 198 (XM)
SiriusXM App/Internet: 960
Live Stats: OSUBeavers.com
Xfinity Comcast: 723 HD / 408 SD
Dish Network: 150
Charter Spectrum: 211
- Oregon State opens its 2021 slate Saturday when the Beavers visit Ross-Ade Stadium in West Lafayette, Ind. Kickoff is slated for 4 p.m. PT (7 p.m. in Indiana).
- The game will be televised on FS1. Cory Provus and Robert Smith will call the action.
- Oregon State and Purdue are meeting for just the second time. The Beavers and Boilermakers squared off in 1967 in Indiana, a 22-14 win for Oregon State.
- Every game this season can be heard live via the TuneIn application, which is available online and on smartphones and tablets. To find the game, once the app has been downloaded, search "Beaver Sports Network."
Oregon State Notes
- Oregon State opens its fourth season under head coach Jonathan Smith, the program's former quarterback from 1998-2001.
- Five of the Beavers' seven games in 2020 were decided by six points or less, an OSU single-season record.
- Oregon State returns 18 starters from the 2020 team, including 10 on the offensive side of the ball.
- Oregon State was victorious in the only meeting between the teams, 22-14, in 1967. The Beavers scored in every quarter and held Purdue to single scores in the first and third quarter.
- Purdue was ranked No. 2 nationally at the time. Purdue marked the first of two wins over ranked teams for OSU, which also defeated No. 1 USC, 3-0, three weeks later. The Beavers also tied then-No. 2 UCLA, 16-16, a week before beating the Trojans.
- The game marked OSU's last trip to the state of Indiana. Overall, the Beavers are 2-1 in the state. OSU defeated Indiana, 20-6, in Bloomington in 1960 before losing there in 1963, 20-15.
- The meeting is the first for the programs since OSU's "Giant Killers" team defeated Purdue, 22-14, in 1967. That game marked the sixth of the season for the Beavers, who ended the year with a 7-2-1 record.
- At the time, the win vaulted Oregon State to a 4-2 record.
- The matchup is the Beavers' first against a Big Ten team since OSU opened the 2018 season at Ohio State. That game also marked the first for Jonathan Smith as Oregon State's head coach.
- Avery Roberts recorded one tackle for Nebraska in the Cornhuskers' 25-24 loss to Purdue in 2017.
- Keonte Schad, who played for Minnesota from 2019-20, totaled two tackles, including half a tackle, in 2019 at Purdue.
- Michael McDonald, Oregon State's head football strength and conditioning coach, lettered at defensive end for the Boilermakers in 2006 and 2007. He recorded two tackles for a loss and a sack in 2006 and 20 tackles over two seasons.
- Both the Beavers and Boilermakers are playing their first non-conference games since the 2019 season.
News, Notes And More
- Twitter.com/BeaverFootball is still the program's main Twitter handle, but the Twitter.com/BeaverFBNews account was created prior to the 2019 season.
- Follow @BeaverFBNews for news, pre-game and in-game notes and more. The handle will post in-game news and scoring information as it happens.
- Oregon State is 64-52-8 (.548) in season-opening games dating back to 1893 when defeating Albany College, 63-0.
- Oregon State has gone 10-11 in season openers dating back to the 2000 season.
- The Beavers are opening on the road for the first time since the 2018 season at Ohio State.
On This Date
- Oregon State has played on Sept. 4 six times previously, going 3-3. The Beavers last played on Sept. 4 in 2015, defeating Weber State, 26-7, at Reser Stadium.