Pac-12 Men's Soccer Weekly Release - Aug. 31, 2021
Aug 31, 2021
Week 2 Fixtures
- 10 matches dot the weekly Pac-12 Men's Soccer slate from Thursday, Sept. 2 to Monday, Sept. 6, highlighted by a pair of meetings with WAC preseason favorite Grand Canyon. WASHINGTON will host the Antelopes on Friday before OREGON STATE welcomes GCU on Monday.
- A pair of matches are set to be televised with CALIFORNIA hosting UNLV on Pac-12 Bay Area on Sunday at 1 p.m. PT, and STANFORD taking on UC Santa Barbara on Pac-12 Los Angeles on Monday at 7 p.m. PT.
Solid Opening-Week Results
- Pac-12 programs opened the season 6-3-2 (.636) across 11 non-conference matches from Aug. 26-30.
- Oregon State (2-0-0) and Washington (2-0-0) both opened with a pair of victories, with the Beavers outscoring their opponents 7-1, and the Huskies by a 6-1 margin.
- SAN DIEGO STATE earned a scoreless draw at then-No. 17 Loyola Marymount to cap a 1-0-1 start that featured consecutive shutouts to begin a season for the first time since 2005.
- UCLA (1-1-0) knocked off San Francisco in overtime, while CALIFORNIA (0-1-1) secured a result with a 1-1 road draw at Big West co-favorite UC Santa Barbara.
Key Week 1 Performers
- Washington midfielder Lucas Meek was selected Pac-12 Player of the Week and named to both the Top Drawer Soccer and College Soccer News National Teams of the Week after totaling five points (1g/3a) in two Husky wins. He set up Dylan Teves' 105th minute golden goal in a season-opening 2-1 victory over UC Davis, then added a goal and two assists in a 4-0 rout of Cal State Fullerton.
- Oregon State forward Tsiki Ntsabeleng erupted for six points (2g/2a) and had a hand in every goal of the Beavers' 4-1 triumph over Air Force on Monday.
- Meek and Ntsabeleng are among six players tied atop the NCAA Division I stats rankings with three total assists through Aug. 31.
- San Diego State's Jacob Castro and the Aztec backline remain the only Pac-12 defense yet to concede a goal this fall as Castro amassed seven total saves in a 2-0 win over CSUN and 0-0 draw at LMU.
Huskies Lead Pac-12 Poll Trio
- Washington climbed into the top 5, jumping four spots to No. 5, while No. 22 Oregon State and No. 25 Stanford (0-1-0) round out the three Pac-12 teams in the latest United Soccer Coaches national poll.
- The three ranked teams are tied for the second-most nationally (Big East 3, Big Ten 3) behind only the ACC's six.
- San Diego State continues to receive votes, the sixth-most in the Also Receiving Votes category.
Hermann Trophy Candidates
- Four Pac-12 standouts were named to the MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List last Thursday: Washington defender Charlie Ostrem and midfielder Dylan Teves, Oregon State midfielder Sofiane Djeffal, and Stanford forward Zach Ryan.
- UW is 1-of-10 programs nationally with multiple representatives on the watch list.
- Pac-12 Men's Soccer boasts three of the last seven Hermann Trophy winners after former OSU forward Gloire Amanda won the honor last spring (Jordan Morris, STAN, 2015; Leo Stolz, UCLA, 2014).
Related News & Videos
13 minutes ago