Road Test Awaits Sun Devils in Nebraska
TEMPE, Ariz. – Sun Devil Volleyball is hitting the road for the first time this season, traveling to Lincoln, Nebraska, to participate in the Ameritas Players Challenge on Friday and Saturday, which includes a matchup with host school No. 4 Nebraska.
Sun Devil Outlook
Arizona State (2-1, 0-0 Pac-12)
- The Sun Devils opened up the season at home with the Sun Devil Volleyball Classic, going 2-1 with wins over Cal Poly and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.
- In her first weekend as a Sun Devil, sophomore middle blocker Claire Jeter made a huge impact. She had 29 kills on a .481 clip and a team-high 14 blocks. She was named to the all-tournament team for her efforts.
- Sophomore setter Ella Snyder won the starting job and totaled 106 assists over the three matches, earning an all-tournament selection. She also had 22 digs.
- Returning Pac-12 honorees Iman Isanovic and Marta Levinska both had 35 total kills each after the weekend to lead the team. Levinska also has the highest ace total on the team with four.
- At libero, junior Annika Larson had a team-best 41 total digs, reaching double figures in all three matches. Grad transfer Jamye Cox also made an impression on defense, earning 24 total digs.
— Sun Devil Volleyball (@SunDevilVB) August 29, 2021
Georgia (2-1, 0-0 SEC)
- Georgia is coming off of two wins in the Classic City Clash tournament. The Bulldogs opened their season with a loss to No. 22 Pepperdine.
- Freshman outside hitter Abby Maesch leads the team in kills (26), and freshman setter Clara Bower leads in assists with 111. On defense, redshirt senior Claire Rothenburger has accumulated 23 digs so far.
- This will be the first meeting between Georgia and Arizona State.
Nebraska Omaha (1-1, 0-0 Summit League)
- The Mavericks recently got swept against Iowa State in the Cyclone Challenge before bouncing back with a 3-0 win against Drake.
- Junior Rachel Fairbanks leads the team with 23 kills so far. Junior setter Sami Clarkson leads the team in assists (69). On defense, 5th year Claire Mountjoy has collected 32 digs.
- This will be the first matchup between the Sun Devils and the Mavericks.
No. 4 Nebraska (2-0, 0-0 Big Ten)
- Nebraska comes off of a 2-0 weekend at the Husker Invitational, defeating Colgate and Kansas State.
- All-American outside hitter Lexi Sun has collected 21 kills this season, and setter Kennedi Orr leads with 51 assists. Libero Lexi Rodrigiez, the reigning Big Ten Co-Freshman of the Week, has collected 36 digs.
- Last time Nebraska and ASU met back in 2002, the Huskers won 3-0 back.
How to Watch
All of Arizona State's matches will be on the BTN+ stream. There will also be live scoring for the whole tournament. Follow along on social media, @SunDevilVB on Twitter and @sundevilvolleyball on Instagram, for more updates