Aztecs Play at Cal Poly Friday
(RV) San Diego State (1-0-1) at Cal Poly (1-1-0)
Friday, September 3 | 7 p.m. PT | Alex G. Spanos Stadium | San Luis Obispo, Calif.
Media Coverage: Cal Poly Live Stream | Live Stats
- The Aztecs tied No. 17 LMU on the road 0-0 Monday evening.
- This was SDSU's first time earning a result against a ranked team on the road since Nov. 6, 2016, when they won at No. 10 Washington 1-0.
- SDSU picked up more votes in the United Soccer Coaches poll, moving from three to 28 points, which ranks them No. 31 in the country and No. 3 in the Far West Region.
- The Aztecs have shut out their first two opponents, the first time they've posted clean sheets in their first two matches of a season since 2005.
- SDSU is one of three Pac-12 teams, joining Washington and Oregon State, to be undefeated through the first two matches.
- The SDSU back line has been anchored by defenders Kyle Colonna, Elias Katsaros and freshmen Tadej Pirtovšek, who have played all 200 minutes for the Aztecs.
- Goalkeeper Jacob Castro, a transfer from Pac-12 foe Washington, has recorded shutouts in his first two matches as an Aztec.
- Through two matches, freshman Alex Hjælmof (Rungstead, Denmark) leads the team with three points after scoring the game-winning goal and dishing out an assist in SDSU's win vs. CSUN.
- The Aztecs have seven shots on goal, and they have all come from different players.
- The Aztecs have only trailed at halftime in three of their 12 matches under second year head coach Ryan Hopkins.
- In Coach Hopkins' 12 matches as head coach, seven have come against ranked opponents.
- The Aztecs return eight starters from a season ago, including all three of their all-Pac-12 honorees (Andre Ochoa, Blake Bowen and Iñigo Villaldea).
- SDSU brings back 82 percent of their scoring and 87 percent of their points from last year.
- SDSU has nine newcomers (seven freshmen and two transfers). The Aztecs added three defenders, three midfielders, two forwards and one goalkeeper. Four of the incoming Aztecs are international recruits, hailing from Australia, Denmark, Netherlands and Slovenia. Rik Regeling (Netherlands) was listed by Top Drawer Soccer as one of their ten "International Players to Watch."
- The Aztecs have 16 underclassmen and just four seniors.
- After playing a Pac-12 exclusive schedule last year, SDSU will play seven non-conference matches this season, all against schools from the Big West or WCC.
- SDSU only has two matches outside of California (at Washington and Oregon State).
Notes from the LMU Match (T, 0-0, Aug. 30)
- This was SDSU's first time earning a result on the road against a ranked team since Nov. 6, 2016, when they beat No. 10 Washington 1-0.
- This is the first time the Aztecs have earned consecutive shutouts since Nov. 3 (Cal, 1-0) and Nov. 8 (Omaha, 0-0) of 2019.
- Newcomers So Nishikawa and Henry Smith-Hastie made their first career starts as an Aztec. Smith-Hastie played 103 minutes.
- Rik Regeling made his first appearance for SDSU, subbing into the match in extra time.
- SDSU started seven underclassmen (four freshmen and three sophomores).
- The Aztecs limited LMU to two corner kicks.
Coach Hopkins' Take on Cal Poly
"Cal Poly is brimming with confidence after a huge road win over St Mary's. They have some components of their game model that you don't see every day so it should make for an interesting contest. I always tell our guys, 'It's about us vs. us,' and how good we can be on the day. This is another big match in our maturation process."
Opponent Notebook (Cal Poly)
Cal Poly is 1-0-1 and is coming off a 2-1 road win at Saint Mary's, who is receiving votes… They lost at Santa Clara 1-0 in their season opener… Friday is their home opener… They played two preseason friendlies, losing at UCLA 1-0 and then beating Fresno Pacific 4-1… The Mustangs were picked to finish eighth in the Big West preseason coaches poll, and picked up a first place vote… CP's two goals came from Jacob Glass and Conner Leber… Goalkeeper Carlos Arce-Hurtado has played every minute and collected nine saves… Cal Poly, along with all Big West schools, did not participate in the 2020 season due to concerns surrounding COVID-19… Head coach Steve Sampson is in his seventh year as the Cal Poly head coach… He has previously coached the LA Galaxy and US Men's National Team… The Aztecs are 6-5-3 all-time against Cal Poly… They last met in 2017, a 1-0 loss at home… SDSU hasn't beaten Cal Poly since 1995.