Tigers Top Beavers in Four Sets
University Park, Pa. – The Oregon State volleyball team fell to LSU, 3-1 (24-26, 25-22, 21-25, 22-25) in the Penn State Classic in University Park, Pa. With the loss, the Beavers fall to 1-2 on the season, as LSU improves to 2-2.
Senior Maddie Goings led the Beavers offensively in her first appearance of the 2021 season, tallying 19 kills to bring her career total to 1,099 and move into 13th on OSU's career kills list. Junior Lindsey Schell added 16 kills to tie a career-best for herself, while Kateryna Tkachenko finished with three kills. Freshman Izzi Szulczewski posted her second double-double of the season finishing with a career-high 52 assists and 18 digs. Grace Massey led the Beavers with 24 digs and three aces.
LSU was able to hit .213, and was led by a 19-kill and 14-dig effort from Kylie Kuyava-Deberg. The Tigers had 13 blocks on the day.
- Goings and Tkachenko made their 2021 season debuts against LSU.
- Three Beavers finished with double-digit kills (Goings – 19, Schell – 16 and Tkachenko – 13).
- Oregon State had three played finish with double-digit digs (Massey – 24, Szulczewski – 18 and Ellie Turner – 13). Massey's 24 marks the first time a Beaver has recorded 20-plus digs since she finished with 30 at Oregon on March 19, 2021. She also brings her career total to 1,832.
- Szulczewski posted her second double-double of 2021, 12th of her career, with 52 assists and 18 digs. She also led OSU with five blocks.
- Beavers had a season-high six aces: Massey (three), Madison Kelly (two) and Turner (one).
The Beavers are back in action tomorrow morning at 8 a.m. PT to take on host, No. 17 Penn State, before facing Iowa State at 2 p.m. PT tomorrow afternoon.
For more information on the Oregon State volleyball team, follow the club's official Twitter account at Twitter.com/BeaverVBall, by Facebook at Facebook.com/BeaverVBall or on Instagram at Instagram.com/BeaverVBall.
Oregon State Athletics strives to Build Excellent Authentic Visionary Student-Athletes (Go BEAVS).