Skip to main content

Utah Falls to Butler, 2-1

Sep 5, 2021

INDIANAPOLIS – The Utah women's soccer team battled against the Bulldogs of Butler University on Sunday afternoon, but the Utes came up just short. Utah fell 2-1 to Butler. 
Utah (3-3-0) scored its lone goal in the 42nd minute of the contest when Courtney Talbot scored on a PK. The Utes controlled play in the game as they held possession of the ball for 52 percent of the match. Chelsea Peterson tallied two saves in the contest against Butler (4-1-0).
Opening up the contest was a defensive battle as neither team could get anything going offensively. Over the first 25 minutes of the match, both teams' defensives limited the offenses to one shot. Butler's Abigail Isger had a shot on goal that Chelsea Peterson saved. 
Late in the first half, the Bulldogs broke the scoreless tie as they scored off a corner kick making it 1-0. A few minutes later, Butler scored its second goal making it 2-0. 
In the 42' minute of the match, Talbot brought the ball into the box and was fouled. She was awarded a penalty kick. Talbot stepped up and scored when she went to the bottom left corner of the goal, beating the Bulldogs goalkeeper. The game would go into halftime, 2-1.
The Utes turned on the offensive pressure and controlled the ball to open the second half. After controlling possession, the Utes Taliana Kaufusi had a shot attempt that the Bulldogs blocked. 
Utah continued to put pressure on the Bulldogs defense in the second half. Heading to the 75th minute of the match, the Utes had the advantage and worked the ball into the box. Brooklyn James had a shot that just went wide. 
The Utes defense continued to play a solid second half as they limited the opportunities for Butler. Late in the half, the Bulldogs had a shot off the post and Butler controlled the rebound and took another shot, and Utah's defender Maryn Granger kept the ball out of the back of the net. 
Late in the match, the Utes were fouled and were awarded a free kick. The Utes sent the cross into the box, but Utah could not get ahead on the ball, and the Butler goalkeeper came down with the ball. Utah continued to pressure but could not get the tying goal and would fall to Butler, 2-1.
The Utes return to Ute Field on Thursday night when they host Brigham Young University in a non-conference matchup. First kick is set for 6 p.m. MT.