Sweep Gives Sun Devils Third Win In A Row
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. - Sun Devil Volleyball earned its third win a row as they beat UC Davis in straight sets (25-18, 25-16, 25-20) on Saturday to finish the weekend undefeated and win the Lumberjack Classic.
Arizona State Head Coach Sanja Tomasevic
"It's nice to finish this weekend with three wins, but more importantly we are continuing to keep getting better every opportunity we get to play. I'm proud of the way the girls approached games and how we stuck together even through tough moments. Players that came off the bench made an impact and that helps us a lot to know that we can have them ready going into the next weekend and the Pac-12."
- Arizona State (6-3) won the Lumberjack Classic after beating all three teams.
- Sophomore middle blocker Claire Jeter was named the MVP of the tournament. This is her second tournament award this season. Sophomore Marta Levinska and junior Annika Larson were on the all-tournament team.
- This was the first match in program history against UC Davis (3-6) and the first sweep the squad has had since the first day of the season.
- The Sun Devils took care of business in the match, out-hitting the Aggies .320 to .141. This was the fourth match so far this fall the team has hit over .300, second in a row.
- Jeter had 10 kills on a .600 clip in the win, her fifth time reaching double figures in kills this season.
- Junior outside hitter Iman Isanovic also reached 10 kills in the match. She has reached double figures in every match so far this fall, currently on a streak of 10 matches in a row dating back to last season.
- Another middle blocker had a strong outing today. Beatrice Badini had a career-best five total blocks, including one solo block. That was the most in the match by any player.
- Setters Shannon Shields and Ella Snyder had 16 and 13 assists, respectively. Shields also had two aces in the match.
- At libero, Larson notched seven digs to lead the team. She also had three assists and an ace.
- Sophomore pin hitter Roberta Rabelo notched a season-high eight kills. She also had five digs and her first career ace.
Set One: Arizona State 25, UC Davis 18
The first set began with the two teams trading points, neither able to put together a run. After ASU scored three-straight points, two from kills by Jeter, to go up 13-10, UC Davis called their first timeout. The Sun Devils continued to string together short multi-point runs throughout the rest of the set, including a 4-0 run, to eventually win 25-18.
Set Two: Arizona State 25, UC Davis 16
The Sun Devils came out hot in the second set, scoring seven of the first nine points behind three kills from Isanovic before the Aggies called a timeout. ASU scored three more times to extend the lead 10-5 before another UC Davis timeout. The Sun Devils never slowed down and scored 10 points off kills, four from Jeter, to win the set 25-16.
Set Three: Arizona State 25, UC Davis 20
The Sun Devils took the lead early in the third set. Two errors by the Aggies and a kill by Jeter gave the Sun Devils a 3-0 run and an eight point lead at 15-7. But UC Davis fought back and cut ASU's lead to five at 20-15. The Sun Devils were able to fight off the Aggies with kills by Roberta Rabelo, Marta Levinska and Isanovic to seal the victory at 25-20.
Arizona State is back home next week, hosting the Sparky Volleyball Invitational with Pacific and UNLV. ASU will take on Pacific on Thursday and UNLV on Saturday, both in Desert Financial Arena.