Skip to main content

Utah Earns Second Straight Shutout; Downs Dixie State, 3-0

Sep 12, 2021

SALT LAKE CITY – The Utah Women's Soccer team earned its second straight shutout with a 3-0 victory over Dixie State on Sunday afternoon at Ute Field. 
Utah's (4-3-1) defense limited the Trailblazers to three shots in the game, all in the first half. The Utes' Courtney Talbot collected three points by scoring a goal and dishing out an assist. Utah outshot Dixie State (3-5-0) 21-3 on the day. Utah controlled possession for 62 percent of the match. 
"This was a great team win today," stated head coach Hideki Nakada. "Our players did a great job of recognizing Dixie State's defensive shape and scored two quality goals early to open up the game. We were able to dictate the game's tempo for the majority of the match, and I was proud of the way we played throughout. We need to be sharper around the box, but we are getting better each week and excited for another great instate match next week."
The Utes came out attacking early as Haley Farrar took the first shot of the match that went wide, and Talbot followed up two minutes later with a shot on goal that was saved.
The scoreless tie was broken in the 13th minute; after the Utes regained possession. Talbot sent a long pass ahead to Makayla Christensen, who outran the Trailblazer defenders. She tracked the ball down, took a shot to the top of the net, and scored her second goal of the season, putting the Utes ahead 1-0.

The Ute's goalkeeper, Chelsea Peterson, tallied two saves in the match. Her saves came five minutes apart in the first half and were the only shots on goal for the Trailblazers. The first shot was by Jill Bennett, and the second shot was by Madison Monson.
Utah continued to pressure the Trailblazer's defense as Sidney Roberts' had header go off the crossbar. The next shot was a header by Taliana Kaufusi that was saved.
The Utes extended their lead to 2-0 in the 43rd minute of the contest. After Dixie State was called offsides, the Utes went downfield quickly. Erin Bridges had the ball at midfield and fired a pass to Brooklyn James, who tracked the ball down and went to the lower-left corner of the goal, scoring her first goal of the season. James' goal put the Utes ahead 2-0, heading to halftime. 

The Utes continued to pressure the Trailblazers' defense, and in the 62nd minute of the contest, McKenna Baillie brought the ball down into the box and found a trailing Talbot, who scored her second goal of the year, growing the Utah lead to 3-0.

Utah's defense was outstanding on the day as they held the Trailblazers to zero-shots in the second half, while the Utes offense tallied 14 shots. Utah continued to have quality chances at scoring and would defeat the Trailblazers, 3-0.
The Utes return to action on Thursday, September 16, when they travel to Logan, Utah, to face Utah State. First kick is set for 5 p.m. MT.