Pac-12 Women's Soccer Weekly Release - Sept. 15, 2021
Sep 15, 2021
SAN FRANCISCO - Pac-12 Women’s Soccer will wrap up non-conference action this week with 17 matches from Thursday, Sept. 16 to Sunday, Sept. 19.
- Three Pac-12 teams are ranked in the United Soccer Coaches Top 25. UCLA and STANFORD jumped up a spot from last week, placing them both in the top 10 with undefeated UCLA at No. 3 and Stanford at No. 10. ARIZONA STATE has also made its way back into the rankings following a one-week hiatus at No. 20 after defeating Nebraska and then-No. 21 Texas Tech. Three Pac-12 programs - OREGON STATE, USC and CALIFORNIA - are among those receiving votes, with the undefeated Beavers on the cusp of their first national ranking since Sept. 2012.
- This week’s 17-match schedule will feature 10 true road contests highlighted by No. 3 UCLA (at San Diego, at San Diego State) and WASHINGTON STATE (at Denver, at Northern Colorado) both on the road twice. The lone ranked meeting of the week features No. 10 STANFORD playing host to defending national champion No. 11 Santa Clara on Sunday.
- Pac-12 Women's Soccer teams have posted a combined 50-19-8 record (.701) so far through four weeks of non-conference play, 1-of-4 leagues with a non-league win percentage of .700 or better through Sept. 14 (ACC .814, Big Ten .714, Big East .713).
- League programs combined for a 12-3-3 mark in non-conference action last week, including three results versus four ranked opponents and a 5-2-1 record against Power Conference foes.
- Last week's results were headlined by UCLA’s 1-0 win against defending NCAA champions and then-No. 8 Santa Clara. Arizona State cruised past Nebraska (1-0) and then-No. 21 Texas Tech (3-2) to improve to 7-1-0, Oregon (3-0-3) remained unbeaten with road results at Texas (1-0) and Baylor (2-2), and Oregon State stayed perfect at 7-0-0 after taking down UC Irvine (2-1). UTAH also earned a 0-0 draw at then-No. 22 BYU.
- Two Pac-12 players were recognized on the College Soccer News National Team of the Week. Arizona State's Nicole Douglas was recognized after scoring a goal in both of ASU’s wins in Tucson over the weekend, including her 12th career game-winning goal and the only goal of the game in ASU’s 1-0 win over Nebraska. UCLA’s Madelyn Desiano was selected Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week and was also named to the CSN National Team of the Week after contributing her sixth assist of the season on teammate Reilyn Turner’s game-winning goal against defending NCAA champion Santa Clara (1-0).
- Both Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week and Pac-12 Goalkeeper of the Week received honorable mention in Top Drawer Soccer’s National Team of the Week. UCLA’s senior goalkeeper Lauren Brzykcy received honorable mention after she matched a career-high with nine saves against Santa Clara, including a 1-on-1 opportunity in the 61st minute and a volley attempt in the 75th minute to help the Bruins remain perfect. Oregon’s Zoe Hasenauer was named Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week and received honorable mention alongside Brzykcy after scoring the game-winning goal from 30-yards out in the 87th minute of the Ducks' 1-0 road win at Texas.
- To kick off this week’s action, Arizona will face off against Gonzaga this Thursday at 7 p.m. PT / 8 p.m. MT on Pac-12 Insider, the new, free streaming channel from Pac-12 Network.
- Two matches will air on Pac-12 Networks this Sunday, starting with USC versus CSUN on Pac-12 Los Angeles at 1 p.m. PT, followed by the ranked clash between No. 10 Stanford and No. 11 Santa Clara at 5 p.m. PT.
- The league's teams will be featured 88 times this season across Pac-12 Networks and the new, free streaming channel, Pac-12 Insider. For a complete schedule, visit pac-12.com/womens-soccer/schedule.