Pac-12 Play Starts In DFA With Rivalry Game Before No. 13 Oregon
TEMPE, Ariz. - Pac-12 play begins this week for Sun Devil Volleyball with home matches against in-state rival Arizona on Thursday and No. 13 Oregon on Sunday, both matches live on the Pac-12 Network.
How to Watch
Desert Financial Arena will be open to the public and tickets are available here. Fan safety protocol information is here. Both matches will be on the Pac-12 Network and there will be live scoring available as well. Follow along on social media, @SunDevilVB on Twitter and @sundevilvolleyball on Instagram, for more updates.
Thursday's matchup against Arizona is the first in the Territorial Cup Series between the Sun Devils and Wildcats for any sport. In the all-time series between these two teams in volleyball, it is knotted at 53-53. It is also the Pediatric Cancer Awareness match. Fans are encouraged to wear gold.
Sun Devil Outlook
Arizona State (7-4, 0-0 Pac-12)
- ASU wrapped up non-conference play with a 7-4 record, going 1-1 at the Sparky Volleyball Invitational last week. Marta Levinska and Annika Larson were named to the all-tournament team.
- Junior outside hitter Iman Isanovic has 174 total kills, first on the team and first in the conference. She is on a streak of 12 matches in a row with double-digit kills dating back to last season.
- Levinska, a sophomore pin hitter, had a strong week, earning double-doubles in both of the matches. She is second on the team in total kills with 131. Additionally, she is first on the team and second in the conference in total aces with 17.
- Leading the defense is junior libero Annika Larson. She has 182 digs, which is the top number in the Pac-12. In the last match, she tied her career high with 30 digs. She collected 20+ digs in both matches last week.
- The primary setter this season has been sophomore Ella Snyder. She leads the team in assists with 329. She also has been more aggressive offensively, earning 18 kills so far, which is already two more than she had last season.
Arizona (8-3, 0-0 Pac-12)
- Last season, the Wildcats went 10-11 in conference-only play to finish sixth in the Pac-12. To start this fall season, they swept all three matches in the Wildcat Classic, including a win over No. 21 San Diego.
- Sophomore outside hitter Jaelyn Hodge leads the team in kills (147), and sophomore setter Emery Herman leads in assists with 385. On defense, junior libero Kamaile Hiapo has accumulated 158 digs so far. The team's newcomer opposite hitter Puk Stubbe is the reigning Pac-12 Freshman of the Week.
- In the Territorial Cup last season, the Sun Devils and Wildcats split the point after each team won on their home court. The two teams are tied at 53-53 in the all-time series.
No. 13 Oregon (9-1, 0-0 Pac-12)
- In the spring 2020-21 season, the Ducks had a 14-4 conference record to take second in the Pac-12. They made it to the third round of the NCAA tournament, ultimately coming up short to Purdue.
- Last weekend, the Ducks swept all three teams on the road at American University. Their best win of the season came against then-No. 18 Penn State.
- Leading the team in kills with 99 is junior outside hitter and libero Brooke Nuneville. Sophomore setter Elise Ferreira leads in assists with 235. On defense, Sophomore libero Geargia Murphy leads the squad with 153 digs. Middle blocker Abby Hansen earned the most recent Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week nod.
- Last time the Devils met the Ducks, the Devils won the first match in five sets to get the upset. In the final match of the regular season, Oregon won in straight sets. ASU leads 40-27 in the all-time series.