Undefeated Aztecs Host Gonzaga Friday
Gonzaga (5-3-0, 0-0-0 WCC) at No. 14 San Diego State (5-0-2, 2-0-0 Pac-12)
Friday, September 24 | 7 p.m. PT | SDSU Sports Deck | San Diego, Calif.
Youth Club Soccer Night
- The Aztecs began Pac-12 play with a pair of home shutouts last week, beating Cal 2-0 on Thursday and then beating No. 23 Stanford 1-0 in the 102nd minute on a golden goal from senior Tevenn Roux.
- SDSU moved up to No. 14 (from No. 21) in the United Soccer Coaches Poll, their highest ranking since being No. 13 on October 4, 2016. The Aztecs are ranked No. 2 in the Far West Region, trailing only No. 3 Washington (6-0-0).
- SDSU is one of 14 undefeated teams remaining in the nation and one of only three on the West Coast (UW and LMU).
- For the first time in the program's 53-year history, the Aztecs have recorded six shutouts and allowed just one goal in the season's first seven matches.
- SDSU is undefeated through its first seven matches for the first time since 2005.
- The Aztecs are 5-0-0 at home so far this season, the first time they've won their first five home matches since 1991.
- SDSU hasn't trailed all season, a span of 682 minutes.
- The Aztecs and goalkeeper Jacob Castro lead the nation in shutouts (6), team goals against average (.132), shutout percentage (.857) and save percentage (.963). Former Aztec All-American goalkeeper Tally Hall's single-seasons school record for shutouts is 12.0 and a goals allowed average of 0.49.
- Castro was recently honored with the Pac-12 Player of the Week award and was named toTop Drawer Soccer's and College Soccer News' National Team of the Week.
- The Aztecs 1-0 win over No. 23 Stanford was their first against the Cardinal since 2011.
- The Aztecs, who are 5-0-0 at home thus far, are in a stretch of five consecutive matches at home. Following Friday's match, they will be on the road for six straight contests, not returning to the Sports Deck until November 4 vs. Oregon State.
- No. 14 SDSU (5-0-2) and No. 3 Washington (6-0-0) are the only ranked Pac-12 programs.
- At 20-6-4 (.733), Pac-12 Men's Soccer is currently the only NCAA Division I league with a non-conference winning percentage above .700.
- The Aztecs have only trailed at halftime in just three of their 17 matches under second year head coach Ryan Hopkins.
Notes from the Last Two Matches
- The Aztecs 1-0 double overtime win over No. 23 Stanford was their first against the Cardinal since 2011.
- SDSU improved to 5-0-0 at home, the first time they've won their first five home matches since 1991.
- SDSU has only had more shots than their opponent in two matches yet are undefeated and have six shutouts.
- Stanford had eight corners to SDSU's three, the first time the Aztecs have been outcornered this season.
- SDSU's goal in the fourth minute vs. Cal was just their second first half goal of the year. The Aztecs have outscored opponents 2-0 in the first half and 5-1 in the second.
- Tevenn Roux earned his first start of the year against No. 23 Stanford and then scored the game-winning goal. He started the match alongside his younger brother Donovan and their parents were in attendance.
Coach Hopkins' Take on Gonzaga
"Gonzaga is a team that is definitely in form and playing with a lot of belief right now. They are a very technical team that wants to play and possess the ball. It will take the best versions of ourselves to secure the result and keep our momentum."
Opponent Notebook (Gonzaga)
Gonzaga is 5-3-0 on the year and is coming off a 1-0 win over Denver who is receiving votes in the national polls… The Zags have won five of their last six matches after beginning the season 0-2-0… The Bulldogs have won both their road matches, winning at UC Davis 1-0, who the Aztecs also beat 1-0, and earning a 1-0 win at Sacramento State… The Zags and goalkeeper Johan Garibay have four shutouts, tied for the fifth-most in the nation… Demitrius Kigeya leads the team in points (8), shots (15) and shots on goal (10)… Logan Dorsey is tied for the team-lead with three goals… They have outscored their opponents 11-8 but have been outshot 115-85… First year head coach Aaron Lewis had been an assistant for the Bulldogs since 2019 and was previously the head coach at Corban University… The Aztecs are 1-4-0 against Gonzaga all-time. The Bulldogs have won the last four meetings but the programs haven't faced each other since 2002.
Season Preview Notes
- The Aztecs return eight starters from a season ago, including all three of their all-Pac-12 honorees (Andre Ochoa, Blake Bowen and Iñigo Villaldea).
- SDSU brings back 82 percent of their scoring and 87 percent of their points from last year.
- SDSU has nine newcomers (seven freshmen and two transfers). The Aztecs added three defenders, three midfielders, two forwards and one goalkeeper. Four of the incoming Aztecs are international recruits, hailing from Australia, Denmark, Netherlands and Slovenia. Rik Regeling (Netherlands) was listed by Top Drawer Soccer as one of their ten "International Players to Watch."
- The Aztecs have 16 underclassmen and just four seniors.
- After playing a Pac-12 exclusive schedule last year, SDSU will play seven non-conference matches this season, all against schools from the Big West or WCC.
- SDSU only has two matches outside of California (at Washington and Oregon State).