Game Updates: Colorado vs. Arizona State
September 25, 2021 • Sun Devil Stadium • Tempe, Ariz. • 8:30 p.m. MT
- The Colorado Buffaloes will play their first road game and first conference game of the season in Tempe, Arizona against the Arizona State Sun Devils. Kickoff is set for 8:30 p.m. MT.
- The Buffs are 1-2 on the season and 0-0 in Pac-12 play. They are coming off one of their roughest losses in awhile after being shutout by Minnesota 30-0 last week at Folsom Field
- The Sun Devils are 2-1 on the season, 0-0 in Pac-12 play. They suffered their first loss last week falling 27-17 at BYU.
- Colorado is 12-10 all-time in the state of Arizona winning their last two trips there (at ASU in 2019 and at UA last year). ASU leads all-time series 8-3
- The Buffs are 5-5 in Pac 12 conference openers winning their last three. As a member of eight different conferences CU is 83-42-2 all-time in league openings. Meanwhile ASU is 17-23-2 all-time in Pac-12 openers
- Last week junior running back Alex Fontenot reached 1,000 career yards. He finished the game with exactly that figure becoming the 55th player in school history to reach that Milestone. First team All-Pac 12 running back Jarek Broussard has 966 yards in his career. He technically has also eclipsed 1,000 but CU won't count bowl stats until the NCAA mandates ALL bowl games count, not just those from 2002 on. Broussard leads the Buffs with 153 rushing yards this season. ASU also has displayed a strong running game as they are ranked atop the Pac 12 and 18th nationally in rushing offense averaging 226.3 yards of rushing offense. ASU's 25 rushing touchdowns in its past six games are the most of any FBS team. Redshirt senior Rachaad White leads the team in rushing with 225 rushing yards on the season. Sun Devil's starting quarterback Jayden Daniels is third with 173 yards on the ground. He is 33 rushing/passing yards away from reaching 5,000 in his career
- Colorado's defense continues to put up solid performances. They are led by All-Pac-12 linebacker Nate Landman who leads the team with 32 tackles on the season.and five third down stops. He also has five tackles for 11 yards lost. Cornerback Mekhi Blackmon has the lone interception for the Buffs on the season. As a team Colorado ranks fourth in the Pac 12 and 52nd in the FBS in total defense. ASU's defense is led by senior linebacker Darien Butler who leads the team with 20 tackles, two sacks for 11 yards, and two interceptions. They are atop the Pac 12 in total defense and 11th in the FBS
- The Buffs will need to bounce back on all cylinders to have a chance against this Sun evil team, particularly in their offense. The 63 yards of total offense against Minnesota were the eighth-fewest in school history, the lowest total since being held to 46 against Oklahoma in the 2012 Big 12 Championship game. It was the lowest in a regular season sine USC held the Buffs to 61 yards in 2002. But they followed that game with a victory the next week against 31-17 against NO. 20 UCLA
Uniforms: Colorado is wearing their white uniforms
Captains: The Colorado captains for tonight will be sophomore defensive lineman Jalen Sami and sophomore offensive lineman Casey Roddick
Weather: 88 degrees and partly cloudy
Coin toss: ASU received the first half kickoff
End of game: Final score: Arizona State 35 Colorado 13. Sun Devils improve to 3-1 on the season, 1-0 in Pac 12 play. Colorado drops to 1-3 on the season, 0-1 in Pac 12 play.
4Q: Arizona state runs out the clock for the end of the game.
Arizona State brings in backup quarterback Trenton Bourguet
4Q: Arizona State starts drive at their own 24
4Q: COLORADO 33-YARD FIELD GOAL ATTEMPT: GOOD. Becker makes second field goal of the game. Buffs now trail Sun Devils 35-13 with 3:56 left in the 4th quarter.
4Q: Colorado starts drive at their own 24.
4Q: ARIZONA STATE TOUCHDOWN: Daniels rush for 15 yards to put AS up 34-10. Zendejas extra point attempt GOOD. Sun Devils lead Buffs 35-10 with 8:30 left in the 4th quarter.
4Q: COLORADO PUNT: Watts punts for 52 yards to ASU 24. Taylor returns for 17 yards to ASU 41. 1st and 10 Sun Devils at their own 41.
4Q: ARIZONA STATE TOUCHDOWN: Ricky Pearsall on a trick designed play passes to White how goes for 30 yards for a touchdown. Zendejas extra point attempt GOOD. Sun Devils now lead 28-10 with 14:16 left in the 4th quarter.
Start of the 4th quarter
3Q: END OF THE THIRD QUARTER: Arizona State leads 21-10 and has the ball. Through the first three quarters the Buffs have 205 total yards on offense versus the Sun Devils 337. The teams are nearly equal on time of possession in this one but the Sun Devils have hurt the Buffs with 6 tackles for a loss of 21 yards. The Buffs have 15 minutes to hold down Arizona's offense on this drive and mount a comeback.
3Q: COLORADO PUNT: Watts punts for 45 yards to the ASU 41. Taylor returns for 30 yards to Colorado 29. After penalty on ASU it is 1st and 10 Sun Devils from their own 38.
3Q: ARIZONA STATE PUNT: Colorado gets a crucial defensive stop thanks to a pass rush by Terrance Lang. Czaplicki punts 33 yards to Colorado 11, out of bounds. 1st and 10 Buffs at their own 11.
3Q: COLORADO PUNT: Watts punts for 39 yards to ASU 20. Taylor returns for 28 yards . ASU holding penalty puts ball at ASU 10. 1st and 10 Sun Devils at their own 10.
Broussard just became the fasted player in Buffs history with 1000 yards. He is officially at that mark now with 1001, 35 in this game.
3Q: ARIZONA STATE TOUCHDOWN: Elijah Badger runs for 17 yards on a reverse for a touchdown. Extra point by Zendejas GOOD. Sun Devils now lead 21-10 with 7:53 left in the 3rd. Arizona drive 6 plays for 71 yards.
3Q: COLORADO TOUCHDOWN: Fontenot caps off a killer drive by the Buffs backs with a 1 yard stretch into the end zone for the Buffs first touchdown in nine quarters. Extra point by Becker GOOD. Colorado drive was 8 plays for 75 yards. Buffs have made it a game now trailing just 14-10 with 11:01 left in the 3rd quarter.
3Q: Colorado starts half with ball at their own 25.
Start of 2nd half
HALFTIME: Colorado trails Arizona State 14-3 but they get the ball to start the second half. Colorado will look to take some of the offensive momentum from the end of the first half to mount a second half comeback. Colorado ended the first half with a field goal to break their eight-quarter scoring drought and get on the board.
2Q: COLORADO 51-YARD FIELD GOAL ATTEMPT: GOOD. Becker makes 51-yarder to put Colorado on the board for the first time in over a game. Sun Devils now lead Buffaloes 14-3. 0:13 left in the half.
2Q: ARIZONA STATE PUNT; Czaplicki punts for 44 yards to Colorado 8. Dimitri Stanley returns for 12 yards. Penalties on both teams give Colorado a 1st and 10 at their own 9 with 3:06 left in the first half.
2Q: COLORADO PUNT: Watts punt goes for 47 yards to ASU 5 and is fair caught by LV Bunkley-Shelton. 1st and 10 Sun Devils at their own 5. 6:42 left in the half.
2Q: ARIZONA STATE TOUCHDOWN: Rachaad rush for 11 yards for a touchdown. Extra point by Zendejas GOOD. Sun Devils lead 14-0 with 9:28 left to play in the half.
2Q: COLORADO 46-YARD FIELD GOAL ATTEMPT: NO GOOD. Missed by Cole Becker on a block by Jack Jones. 1st and 10 Sun Devils at their own 28. 12:37 left in the half.
Start of 2nd quarter
1Q: END OF FIRST QUARTER: Arizona state leads 7-0 as the Buffs offensive struggles continue but look to be starting a promising drive. Colorado has just 36 total yards on offense versus Arizona State's 85. Colorado also already has four penalties for 40 yards.
1Q: ARIZONA STATE PUNT: Czaplicki punts for 44 yards to the Colorado 8. 1st and 10 Buffaloes at their own 8.
1Q: COLORADO PUNT: Watts punt goes 55 yards to ASU 21. 1st and 10 Sun Devils at their own 21.
1Q: ARIZONA STATE KICKOFF: Tyler Logan kickoff 65 yards to the Colorado 0. Brenden Rice returns for 16 yards to Colorado 16. 1st and 10 Buffaloes at their own 16.
1Q: ARIZONA STATE TOUCHDOWN: Daniels runs the ball for seven yards to the left for a Sun Devil touchdown. Extra point by kicker Cristian Zendejas GOOD. Sun Devils leads 7-0 with 7:45 left in the first quarter.
1Q: COLORADO PUNT: Josh Watts punt goes 49 yards to the ASU 38. D.J. Taylor returns for 17 yards. to the Colorado 45. 1st and 10 Sun Devils at the Colorado 45.
1Q: ARIZONA STATE PUNT: Eddie Czaplicki punts for 53-yards after Arizona State gets one first down on their first drive. 1st and 10 Buffaloes at their own 20.
Start of game