Pac-12 Women's Soccer Weekly Awards - Sept. 27, 2021
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Croix Bethune, Jr., USC (Alpharetta, Ga.)
1 game, 1 goal, 1 assist, 3 points
- The junior midfielder led USC to a 2-1 comeback win against previously undefeated Oregon State on Friday, scoring the game-tying goal and assisting on the game-winner to kick off conference play for the 2021 season.
- Stole an outlet attempt and beat a Beaver defender on the dribble to even the game in the first half.
- Ran down a long ball in the 18-yard box, stealing it from the Beaver defender in front of her and then passing to teammate Penelope Hocking in front of goal for the game-winner in the 85th minute.
- Bethune controlled the midfield all game, making numerous takeaways to help hold the Beavers to just two shots in the second half.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Chai Cortez, Sr., Oregon (Kahului, Hawaii)
1 game, 110 minutes
- The senior defender helped Oregon become the first team to shut out No. 3 UCLA this season with a scoreless road draw on Friday.
- Matched up with UCLA's Maricarmen Reyes, who earlier in the week scored a goal for the Mexican National Team in its match against Colombia, and limited her to one shot attempt.
- Friday's match marked Oregon's first shutout of UCLA in program history. It was the first time in just over three years that a team had shut out the Bruins at Annenberg Stadium.
GOALKEEPER OF THE WEEK: Leah Freeman, So., Oregon (Berkeley, Calif.)
1 game, 6 saves, 0 goals allowed, 110 minutes
- Made six saves as Oregon became the first team to shutout No. 3 UCLA this season in a 0-0 draw.
- The sophomore goalkeeper made back-to-back close-range saves on a UCLA free kick in the 60th minute and then made the save of the night in the 69th minute when UCLA's Sunshine Fontes got to a ball behind Oregon’s backline, but Freeman charged out of the net to smother Fontes’ head on strike from inside the 18.
- This was Freeman's third straight shutout and fifth of the season, the second-most in the Pac-12.
Offensive Player of the Week: Quincy Bonds, ARIZ; Nicole Douglas, ASU; Karlie Lema, CAL; Shanade Hopcroft, COLO; Maya Doms, STAN; Summer Yates, WASH; Enzi Broussard, WSU.
Defensive Player of the Week: Ava McCray, ARIZ; Sydney Collins, CAL; Hannah Sharts, COLO; Naomi Girma, STAN; Lilly Reale, UCLA; Zoe Burns, USC, Jessika Cowart, WASH; Mykiaa Minniss, WSU.
Goalkeeper of the Week: Hope Hisey, ARIZ; Katie Meyer, STAN; Anna Smith, USC; Lauren Brzykcy, UCLA; Marissa Zucchetto, WSU.
2021 Pac-12 Women's Soccer Players of the Week