No. 13 Aztecs at No. 2 Washington Thursday
No. 13 San Diego State (6-0-2, 2-0-0 Pac-12) at No. 2 Washington (7-0-0, 0-0-0)
Thursday, September 30 | 7 p.m. PT | Husky Soccer Stadium | Seattle, Wash.
Media Coverage: Pac-12 Networks (Washington) | Live Stats
No. 13 San Diego State (6-0-2, 2-0-0 Pac-12) at RV Oregon State (4-1-2, 0-0-0)
Sunday, October 3 | 2 p.m. PT | Paul Lorenz Soccer Stadium | Corvallis, Ore.
Media Coverage: Oregon State Live Stream | Live Stats
- The No. 13 Aztecs (6-0-2, 2-0-0) return to Pac-12 play with a pair of road matches in the Pacific Northwest this week. First they play at No. 2 Washington (7-0-0, 0-0-0) Thursday at 7 p.m. and then at Oregon State (4-1-1, 0-0-0) Sunday at 2 p.m. These will be the Aztecs' first (and only) matches outside of California and their first road contest since September 3 (at Cal Poly).
- Thursday's match will be broadcast on Pac-12 Network Washington, which requires a subscription. Sunday's match will be available on an OSU-produced stream.
- SDSU moved up to No. 13 (from No. 14) in the United Soccer Coaches Poll, their highest ranking since being No. 13 on October 4, 2016. The Aztecs are ranked No. 2 in the Far West Region, trailing only No. 2 Washington (7-0-0). SDSU is ranked No. 18 by Top Drawer Soccer and College Soccer News.
- The Aztecs are one of two teams to allow just one goal on the year (Duke).
- SDSU is one of 10 undefeated teams remaining in the nation and one of only three on the West Coast (UW and LMU).
- For the first time in the program's 53-year history, the Aztecs have recorded seven shutouts and allowed just one goal through the team's first eight matches.
- SDSU is undefeated through its first eight matches for the first time since 2005.
- The Aztecs are 6-0-0 at home so far this season, the first time they've won their first six home matches since 1991.
- SDSU hasn't trailed all season, a span of 772 minutes.
- The Aztecs and goalkeeper Jacob Castro, a UW transfer, lead the nation in shutouts (7), team goals against average (.117), shutout percentage (.875) and save percentage (.964). The single-season school record for shutouts is 12.0 and a goals allowed average of 0.49 set by former Aztec All-American goalkeeper Tally Hall in 2005.
- Andre Ochoa, the team captain, is tied for the Pac-12 lead with four goals.
- Senior Tevenn Roux is tied for fourth in the conference with three assists. He has four points (one goal, two assists) in his last two matches.
- SDSU is second in the Pac-12 with 5.9 corner kicks per game. They have been outcornered just one this season.
- The Aztecs 1-0 win in extra time over No. 23 Stanford on Sept. 19 was their first against the Cardinal since 2011.
- Thursday's match begins a stretch of six straight road matches. Th Aztecs won't play at home until November 4 (Oregon State).
- At 24-8-5 (.716), the Pac-12 is tied for the best non-conference win percentage in the nation (MAC).
- The Aztecs have trailed at halftime in just three of their 18 matches under second year head coach Ryan Hopkins.
- SDSU has the third best 2022 recruiting class according to Top Drawer Soccer.
Notes from the Gonzaga Match (W, 2-0)
- The Aztecs scored twice in the first six minutes of the game, their first time scoring two goals in the first half this season.
- Senior Tevenn Roux had both assists. His first went to Laukoa Santos, his fellow senior.
- SDSU improved to 6-0-0 at home, the first time they've won their first six home matches since 1991.
- This was just SDSU's third match having more shots than their opponent.
- The Aztecs allowed just one shot on goal and one corner.
Coach Hopkins' Take on No. 2 Washington
"Many of our players came to San Diego State to play in special games like this and help return SDSU to the elite levels of the past. It's massive opportunity against a top opponent on the biggest stage and I couldn't be more excited for this opportunity for our guys".
Opponent Notebook (No. 2 Washington)
The Huskies are 7-0-0 on the year and ranked No. 2 in the country… Thursday's match will be their first Pac-12 contest of the season… Their +14 goal differential (17-3) is tops in the Pac-12 and fifth in the nation… They lead the conference in goals (17), goals per game (2.43), shots per game (16.9) and shots on goal per game (7.0)… UW has attempted 41 corners but allowed just 21… Dylan Teves' nine points are second in the Pac-12 and his five assists are tied for the eighth most in the nation… Goalkeeper Sam Fowler has a goals allowed average of 0.48 and a save percentage of 0.880, both are second in the Pac-12 behind SDSU's Jacob Castro… Head coach Jamie Clark (10th season) has led UW to the NCAA Tournament in eight of the last nine years, reaching the Elite Eight three times… UW has never finished worse than third in the Pac-12 under his watch… The Aztecs are 7-22-8 all-time against Washington but beat them in their last meeting 2-0 when the Huskies were ranked No. 4 in the country. This was Coach Hopkins first career win as a head coach.
Coach Hopkins' Take on Oregon State
"Oregon State presents some unique challenges because of the intricacies of their offensive organization. We will have to be sharp in executing our game plan in a match that will have major postseason implications when all is said and done."
Opponent Notebook (Oregon State)
The Beavers are 4-1-1 overall on the year… They are receiving votes in the United Soccer Coaches poll and are ranked No. 24 by College Soccer News... Their home matches vs. No. 23 UCLA (Thurs.) and No. 13 SDSU (Sun.) will be their first Pac-12 matches of the year… They are 2-1-1 at home and played UC Santa Barbara to a 1-1 tie last week… They average two goals per match and have outscored their opponents 12-4 on the year… Tyrone Mondi's team-high nine points are the second most in the Pac-12… Tskiki Ntsabeleng has four assists and two goals… Goalkeeper Adrian Fernandez, who is in his fourth year as the Beavers' starting keeper, has a goals allowed average of 0.64, 23rd in the nation… Head coach Terry Boss (4th season) came to OSU after being an assistant coach at Virginia. Ryan Hopkins replaced him at UVA… The Aztecs are 11-21-3 all-time against Oregon State. The Beavers have won the last five meetings and outscored SDSU 9-0 in their two matches last year.
Coach Hopkins in the Media