Game Updates: Colorado vs. USC
October 2, 2021 • Folsom Field • Boulder, Colo. • 12:00 p.m. MT
- The Colorado Buffaloes will host the USC Trojans this Saturday. Kickoff set for 12:00 PM MT.
- The Colorado Buffaloes are 1-3 overall, 0-1 in Pac 12 play coming off a 35-13 loss in Tempe, Arizona to the Arizona State Sun Devils
- The USC is 2-2 overall, 1-2 in Pac 23 play coming off a 45-27 loss last week to Oregon State.
- Colorado's punter Josh Watts who has recently been added to the Ray Guy Award official watch list has increased his mark from 40.89 yards in 2020 to 48.54 yards this season.
- The Buffs will recognize former wide receiver Michael Westbrook as National Football Foundation officials will be on hand on-campus for his recognition. In December Westbrook will become the ninth Buffalo to be inducted into the Hall.
- The Buffs are yet to beat the Trojans as CU is 0-14 all-time against USC (0-9) with both as members of the Pac-12. The Buffs have come close, being decided by four points or less.
- Defensive lineman Mustafa Johnson has regained eligibility after going through the NCAA-mandated process to be reinstated after he wasn't selected in the 2021 NFL Draft. After meeting those requirements and sitting out four games, we will be able to play his second time as a senior beginning this Saturday against USC. Johnson has 15 career sacks (t-14) and 29 career tackles for loss (t-21). He has been a a huge asset to Colorado's defense who will look to boost their pressure on USC junior quarterback Kedon Slovis (83-of-219, 64.3%, 842 yards, 4 touchdowns, and 20 interceptions). He ranks eighth on USC's all-time completions list (542) and ninth in total offense (6,158 yards).
- USC wide receiver K.D. Nixon will line up against his former team (he played four years with the Buffs, ranking in several CU Top 10 career lists, and even caught a pair of TDs versus the Trojans while in the black and gold).
- USC is under the watch of interim head coach Donte Williams.
- Last year's scheduled contest between the two teams was canceled tue to COVID-19.
- The teams last met in 2019 in Boulder where USC overcame a 10-point fourth quarter deficit to defeat the Buffs 35-31.
Uniforms: Colorado is wearing black pants and gold helmets, USC will be wearing white jerseys with red helmets.
Captains: The Colorado captains for today will be junior cornerback Mekhi Blackmon, freshman cornerback Christian Gonzalez, and senior linebacker Nate Landman.
Weather: Clear skies approximately 64 degrees around kickoff.
Coin toss: Colorado wins the toss and defers to the second half. Colorado will kick off to start the game and defend the south goal.
USC: 37 Colorado: 14
4Q: The Trojans got three first downs and Slovis took a knee to run out the clock.
4Q: COLORADO PUNT: Watts punt downed by Anthony Lyle. 1st and 10 Trojans at their own four.
4Q: USC PUNT: Griffith punt goes 44 yards, downed at the Colorado 45 by Damon Johnson. 1st and 10 Buffaloes at thier own 45.
4Q: COLORADO PUNT: Watts punts ball 51 yards to the end zone zero for a touchback. 1st and 10 Trojans at thier own 25.
4Q: USC KICKOFF: Sails out of the end zone for a touchback. 1st and 10 Buffaloes at thier own 25.
4Q: USC TOUCHDOWN: 15 yard pass by Slovis to Gary Bryant Jr. makes the score USC 36-Colorado 14. Extra point by Lewis GOOD. Drive was five plays, 35 yards, 1:47. Trojans lead 37-14 with 14:08 left to play in the 4th quarter.
End of the third quarter: The Buffs had great offensive drive for a score where the big play was a 65-yard reception by Russell. and the defense made some big plays but now USC has the ball on the Colorado eight after a big interception. If Colorado wants to get something going they will look to limit the Trojans damage here in the red zone. Score going into the fourth is USC 30 Colorado 14.
3Q: COLORADO TURNOVER: Lewis pass incercepted by Jushua Jackson Jr. broken up by Kana'i Mauga. 1st and 10 Trojans,
3Q: USC PUNT: Griffiths punts the ball for 41 yards. Fair caught by Stanley. 1st and 10 Buffaloes at their own nine. 1st and 10 Buffaloes at their own nine.
3Q: COLORADO KICKOFF: Out of the end zone for a touchback. 1st and 10 Trojans at their own 25.
3Q: COLORADO TOUCHDOWN: Lewis pass to Chase Penry for seven yards into the end zone to make the score 30-13 following a 65-yard reception by Brady Russell. Extra point by Becker GOOD. Drive was four plays 75 yards 1:34. Score is now Trojans 30, Buffaloes 14 with 5:18 left in the third quarter.
3Q: USC KICKOFF: Touchback puts ball at Colorado 25. 1st and 10 Buffaloes at their own 25.
3Q: USC TOUCHDOWN: 2 yard run by Vavae Malpeai to put the Trojans up 29-7. Extra point attempt by Parker GOOD. USC drive four plays, 68 yards, 1:11. USC leads 30-7 with 6:52 left to play in the third quarter.
3Q: COLORADO TURNOVER ON DOWNS: USC takes over on downs after Alex Fontenot rushes for one yard but fails to convert 4th down try. 1st and 10 Trojans at their own 41.
3Q: USC KICKOFF: Parker kickoff to the end zone for a touchback. 1st and 10 Buffaloes at their own 25.
3Q: USC FIELD GOAL ATTEMPT: GOOD. Lewis makes 49-yard attempt to put Trojans up 23-7. USC drive four plays, -2 yards 1:48.
3Q: COLORADO TURNOVER: Fumble by Brendon Lewis recovered by USC's Drake Jackson. 1st and 10 Trojans at their own 30.
USC Linebacker Ralen Goforth is disqualified from the game after a targeting penalty following a hit to the head on quarterback Brendon Lewis.
3Q: USC KICKOFF: Lewis' kick returned to the 16 by Brenden Rice to start the half. 1st and 10 Buffaloes at their own 16.
Start of the second half
Halftime: USC leads 20-7 at the half. Colorado capitalized on their first good field position of the game--getting a touchdown drive to put them on the board. USC leads 20-7 at halftime at halftime but hopefully those plays by Colorado are something they can build on as they will receive the second half kickoff. The Buffs got just two first downs in the first half and rushed for 35 yards while the Trojans rushed for 75 yards on the ground and 85 through the air. Mark Perry leads Colorado with six tackles in the game. Brady Russell and Daniel Arias lead the Buffs with 18 receiving yards.
2Q: COLORADO KICKOFF: Rolls out of the end zone for a touchback. 1st and 10 Trojans at the Colorado 25.
2Q: COLORADO TOUCHDOWN: Deion Smith runs one yard for his second career touchdown to put the Buffs on the board with the score now 20-7. Drive six plays 48 yards 2:59
2Q: USC FUMBLE: Keaontay Ingram rushes for 17 yards and fumbles recovered by Mark Perry. 1st and 10 Colorado at the Trojan 48.
2Q: COLORADO PUNT: 48-yard punt by Watts, six yards on return. 1st and 10 Trojans at their own 28.
2Q: USC FIELD GOAL ATTEMPT: GOOD. Lewis makes 44-yard field goal. Drive was five plays 45 yards 2:50. USC up 20-0 with 6:41 left in the half. 1st and 10 Colorado at its own 25.
2Q: COLORADO PUNT: Watts punts for 52 yards, returned to the Colorado 28. 1st and 10 Trojans at their own 28.
2Q: USC TOUCHDOWN: Slovis completes pass to Michael Trigg for 46 yards for USC touchdown to put them up 16-0, Extra point attempt by Parker GOOD. Trojans scoring drive six plays 85 yards 2:10. 11:04 left in the 1st half.
2Q: COLORADO PUNT: Watts punts ball for 44 yards, zero on the return. 1st and 10 Trojans at their own 15.
Start of second quarter
END OF FIRST QUARTER: Trojans lead 10-0. Colorado is still looking to get something going offensively as they have -3 yards on the ground and 27 in the air to start versus USC's 26 rushing and 133 receiving. Colorado has the ball. 2nd and 19 Buffaloes at their own 37.
1Q: USC TOUCHDOWN: Kedon Slovis completes left pass on a nice catch by Parker Lewis, the nations leading receiver Drake London to put the Trojans up 9-0. Extra point attempt by Parker GOOD. USC up 10-0. Drive was five plays 64 yards 2:35.
1Q: COLORADO PUNT: Watts punts for 56 yards, returned for 13 yards, 10-yard holding on USC and 15-yard unnecessary roughness on Colorado puts the ball on the USC 36. 1st and 10 Trojans at their own 36.
1Q: USC KICKOFF: Kick goes out of the end zone for a touchback. 1st and 10 Buffaloes at their own 25.
1Q: USC FIELD GOAL ATTEMPT: GOOD. Parker Lewis kicks 30 yard field goal to put the Trojans up 3-0 with 5:57 left in the 1st quarter. Drive was 14 plays, 70 yards, five minutes.
1Q: COLORADO PUNT: Josh Watts punt goes 55 yards, holding call on USC after a nine yard return makes it 1st and 10 Trojans at their own 17.
1Q: USC PUNT: Ben Griffiths punt 44 yards to Colorado 29. Seven yards on return by Dimitri Stanley. 10-yard penalty on Colorado gives the Buffaloes 1st and 10 at their own 26.
1Q: 1st and 10 Trojans at their own 25.
Start of game