Skip to main content

Utah Fights Washington to a 1-1 Draw

Oct 3, 2021

SALT LAKE CITY – The Utah women's soccer team scored in the 54' minute of the match, which sent the game to overtime before Utah and Washington settled for a 1-1 draw on Sunday afternoon at Ute Field.
In the match, Utah (5-5-2, 0-2-1 Pac-12) tallied 19 shots and ten on goal against the Huskies (2-5-3, 0-1-2 Pac-12). Taliana Kaufusi scored her fourth goal in the 54' minute for the Utes lone goal. In net for Utah, Chelsea Peterson tallied six saves and now has 50 on the season. In the match, Utah controlled possession for 57 percent of the game.
"We showed high quality of play creating numerous scoring opportunities throughout the match and we are disappointed not to get the win today," stated head coach Hideki Nakada. "I am proud of our Utes for getting back in the game after gifting their goal, but we have to find a way to win out after dominating the majority of the match the way we did. We will continue to work on our final third play moving forward."
The Utes came out attacking early and had two quality scoring chances in the 10' minute of the match. Haley Farrar had the first look as she went to the upper corner of the net, but the Washington goalie made the save, and Anna Escobedo found the loose ball and took a shot which was saved.

The Huskies took the lead in the 26th minute of the match when Mckenzie Weinert found a loose ball and scored, making it 1-0.
Six minutes later in the match, Washington had two quality chances to score. Weinert had a shot to extend the lead, but Peterson made the save. Kala McDaniel followed with a shot that Peterson made a diving save on. The game remained 1-0, heading to halftime.

Utah responded after halftime, as Kylee Geis sent a pass to the far post where she found Kaufusi, who headed the ball home, tying the game at 1-1.

Ten minutes later, the Utes had another excellent scoring chance as Makayla Christensen came up the right side of the box, got past the Huskies defender, and fired a shot on goal that was saved, keeping the game tied at 1-1. Utah continued to pressure the Washington defenders as Kaufusi had a shot that was blocked, but Erin Bridges found the ball and headed towards the goal, but it went off the post.
The game would remain tied at 1-1, and we would head to overtime. Both Christensen and Geis had chances for the Utes, but Olivia Sekany saved their shots. The Utes had the best scoring chance in the second overtime as Kaufusi took a shot that was saved. The Utes and Huskies both earned a point in conference play as they tied 1-1.
The Utes return to action on Thursday when they travel to Los Angeles to face UCLA. First kick is set for 8 p.m. MT and will be aired on the Pac-12 Networks.