Cal Hosts No. 15 Oregon State, No. 2 Washington
BERKELEY – The California men's soccer team hosts No. 15 Oregon State and No. 2 Washington in a pair of Pac-12 Conference games at Edwards Stadium. The Golden Bears (2-6-1, 0-3-0 Pac-12) battle the Beavers (6-1-1, 2-0-0 Pac-12) on Thursday at 2 p.m. and then clash with the Huskies (9-0-0, 2-0-0 Pac-12) on Sunday at 12 p.m.
Admission is free.
Cal Athletics follows all state and local public health guidelines to mitigate risk and support the health and well-being of those who attend Cal athletic events. Under these policies, fans attending outdoor events on campus are strongly encouraged to wear facial coverings in outdoor areas. Facial coverings are required at all times in indoor spaces (i.e., restrooms) for guests ages 2 and up regardless of vaccination status, unless actively eating or drinking. Masks will be available at entrances for fans upon request.
Individuals who are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms or are under a quarantine or isolation order should not attend.
These protocols are subject to change based on local, state and national guidelines.
Fans who can't get to Edwards Stadium for the games can watch both matches on the Pac-12 Networks.
The live stats link for Thursday's game is available by clicking here, and the Pac-12 Networks link for the Oregon State game is here. Access the Cal-UW live scores link here and Sunday's Pac-12 Networks broadcast here. Fans can follow Twitter updates for all Cal games at @CalMSoc.
Last Time: Cal Falls In Big Clasico
In the first of two Big Clasico games against Stanford, Cal lost to the Cardinal, 5-0, on Sunday evening on the Farm. Mark Fisher scored the gamewinner for Stanford, which got two goals from Will Richmond and two goals from Ousseni Bouda. The rivals will meet again in the Nov. 11 regular-season finale at Edwards Stadium.
About the Bears
- Evan Davila (2 goals, 3 assists) leads the team in points (7) and assists.
- Jack Singer paces the Bears in goals (3) and ranks second in points (6).
- Midfielder/forward Wyatt Meyer has two goals and an assist and ranks third in points (5).
- Freshman forward Shoei Honda (2 goals) ranks fourth in points (4).
- Julian Churchill, the younger brother of Cal senior midfielder Lucas Churchill, is a midfielder for Washington.
- Both Davila and Meyer have family connections to Cal. Taylor Davila, Evan's brother, patrolled the Bears' midfield from 2018-19, and now plays professionally for the Los Angeles Galaxy II. Jennifer Thomas, Meyer's mother, played for the Cal women's soccer team from 1982-85, and was an assistant coach for the Cal women's team for 11 seasons.
- Five-time Pac-12 Coach of the Year Kevin Grimes, who is the Bears' all-time leader with 210 wins, is in his 22nd season as Cal's head coach.
About Oregon State
- OSU beat No. 23 UCLA, 4-3, on Sept. 30 and No. 13 San Diego State, 2-0, on Oct. 3 to run its unbeaten streak to four games.
- Midfielder Tyrone Mondi (4 goals, 3 assists) leads OSU in points (11) and is tied for the goals lead with forward Adrian Molina-Diaz, who also has two assists and 10 points.
- Forward Tsiki Ntsabeleng (team-high 4 assists) is tied for 11th in the nation in assists per game (0.67).
- Goalkeeper Adrian Fernandez has compiled a 0.85 goals-against average in eight starts.
- Terry Boss is in his fourth year as Oregon State's head coach.
- UW defeated No. 13 San Diego State, 1-0 in overtime, on Sept. 30 and No. 23 UCLA, 2-1, on Oct. 3 in its last two games.
- Lucas Meek (team-high 3 goals) and Dylan Teves (team-best 5 assists) are UW's co-scoring leaders with nine points each.
- Teves is tied for 20th nationally in assists per game (0.56).
- Goalkeeper Sam Fowler, with eight starts, ranks 14th in the nation with a 0.48 GAA.
- Jamie Clark is in his 11th year as Washington's head coach.
Last Time Vs. OSU & UW
In the 2021 spring regular season, Cal split against Oregon State and lost twice against Washington.
The Bears dropped a 2-0 result to the Huskies in their second game of the season on Feb. 27 at Witter Rugby Field in Berkeley. Cal got an early goal from Alonzo Del Mundo in the April 3 rematch in Seattle but lost, 2-1.
The Bears fell to OSU, 4-0, on March 6 in Oregon and rebounded to upset the third-ranked Beavers, 1-0, on March 28, with Juan Martinez scoring the winner at Witter.
Singer, Davila Lauded For Play In Wins
Jack Singer claimed the Pac-12 Player of the Week honor, was named to the Top Drawer Soccer Team of the Week and was named the Gatorade Athlete of the Month by Cal Athletics after scoring three goals to lead Cal to victories over Dixie State on Sept. 3 and UNLV on Sept 5. This is the San Francisco native's first Pac-12 weekly award and the 40th for the Golden Bears program. Evan Davila claimed honorable mention for the Top Drawer Soccer Team of the Week for his heroics in both games.
Singer, a junior who has played as a defender, midfielder and forward in the early part of the season, netted the gamewinner in Cal's 2-0 victory over Dixie State in the home opener. He then scored Cal's first and third goals in a 4-3 win over UNLV also at Edwards Stadium.
Davila assisted on Singer's goal vs. Dixie State and scored Cal's second, and then the sophomore scored his second goal of the season against UNLV.
Midfielder Fernando Andrade writes Fer Play, a Cal men's soccer blog on CalBears.com. A political science major aspiring to do a double major with business administration, Andrade gives insight and behind the scenes details about the Bears during this unprecedented spring regular season. Click here to read Fer Play.
Cal plays at Santa Clara on Oct. 16 at 7 p.m. in the Bears' final nonconference regular-season game of 2021.
For more coverage of the Cal men's soccer team, please follow the Bears on Twitter (@CalMSoc), Instagram (@CalMSoc) and Facebook (@CalMSoc).