USC Football vs. Utah Practice Report: Building Off The Win
Oct 5, 2021
The Trojans are prepping for Utah, hoping to earn their first back-to-back wins of the season.
- USC interim head coach Donte Williams was happy with the win on Saturday, but refuses to be satisfied. After practice ended, every member of the football team and staff ran horizontally across the field 12 times, because the Trojans committed 12 penalties at Colorado. "We all ran for each penalty, including myself, because we're all in this together," Williams explained. "One penalty can cost everybody."
- Wide receiver Drake London played a key role in USC's win at Colorado, hauling in 130 receiving yards, and USC offensive coordinator Graham Harrell sung the wideout's praises. "He creates problems," Harrell said. "There's not enough good things I can say about that guy. He's a great player and a really great person too."
- Freshman tight end Michael Trigg had a breakout game at Colorado, with 2 catches for 51 yards and his first touchdown. Harrell attributed some of his and London's success to their basketball backgrounds. "Playing basketball teaches body control and being able to go up with people around you and people on top of you," he explained. "Releases are very natural for those guys, because they're used to trying to beat a guy one-on-one in basketball."
- Trigg said he was encouraged by a conversation he had with legendary USC running back LenDale White at Folsom Field on Saturday. "He was telling me around the first quarter, 'Just keep grinding, I feel like you're gonna bust one this game,'" Trigg explained, sheepishly admitting he wasn't aware of all of White's accolades before the conversation.
- Redshirt sophomore running back Darwin Barlow also had a breakout game on Saturday, with 10 carries for 61 yards. Williams called the Texas native "someone we can definitely depend on" and stressed that he's right in the thick of the running back competition.
- Speaking of competition, freshman QB Jaxson Dart was back at practice today with a brace on his knee. He didn't participate fully, but got some throws in. Williams characterized him as "week-to-week" and reiterated that the QB competition — and competition at all other positions — will continue to take place every day.
- On a somber note, Williams shared that his father passed away last Monday. He expressed gratitude to the USC staff for giving him the opportunity to leave Oregon and come back home to Los Angeles to spend the last few years of his father's life with him.
- Utah's football program is dealing with the tragic loss of sophomore defensive back Aaron Lowe, who was shot and killed on Sept. 26. Williams shared that USC's director of football operations has been in contact with Utah's to make sure the Trojans honor Lowe's legacy on Saturday.