Aztecs at UCLA Friday Evening
RV San Diego State (6-2-2, 2-2-0 Pac-12) at RV UCLA (6-4-0, 2-2-0)
Friday, October 8 | 7 p.m. PT | Wallis Annenberg Stadium | Los Angeles, Calif.
UCLA Live Stream
- The Aztecs (6-2-2, 2-2-0) play at UCLA (6-4-0, 2-2-0) Friday evening at 7 p.m. Both schools are receiving votes in the United Soccer Coaches poll.
- SDSU is coming off their first losses of the season, a 1-0 loss in extra time at No. 2 Washington (9-0-0, 2-0-0) last Friday and then a 2-0 defeat at Oregon State (6-1-1, 2-0-0) Sunday. The Beavers jumped to No. 15 in the rankings this week.
- SDSU fell out of the United Soccer Coaches poll after a pair of losses last week. They are still receiving votes and come in at No. 27 overall. College Soccer News has the Aztecs ranked No. 22.
- The Aztecs have allowed just four goals on the year, tied for the fourth-fewest in the nation.
- SDSU ranks top five in the nation in save percentage (2nd, 0.897), shutout percentage (3rd, 0.700) and team goals against average (5th, 0.377).
- Aztec goalkeeper Jacob Castro's seven shutouts are tied for the most in the nation. He is also third in save percentage (0.897) and fourth in goals against average (0.377). The single-season SDSU school record for shutouts is 12.0 and a goals allowed average of 0.49 set by former SDSU All-American Tally Hall in 2005.
- Andre Ochoa, the team captain, is tied for the Pac-12 lead with four goals.
- Senior Tevenn Roux is tied for fifth in the conference with three assists.
- For the first time in the program's 53-year history, the Aztecs recorded seven shutouts and allowed just one goal through the team's first eight matches.
- SDSU was undefeated through its first eight matches for the first time since 2005.
- The Aztecs are 6-0-0 at home so far this season, the first time they've won their first six home matches since 1991. SDSU is 0-2-2 on the road
- When Oregon State scored their first goal Sunday, it was the first time SDSU had trailed in regulation all season.
- The Aztecs' 1-0 win in extra time over No. 23 Stanford on Sept. 19 was their first victory against the Cardinal since 2011.
- SDSU is in a stretch of six straight road matches and won't play at home until November 4.
- Four Pac-12 schools are currently ranked or receiving votes: No. 2 Washington, No. 15 Oregon State, RV San Diego State and RV UCLA. Those four teams are all currently tied for first in the Pac-12 with six points.
- The Aztecs have trailed at halftime in just four of their 20 matches under second year head coach Ryan Hopkins.
- SDSU has the third best 2022 recruiting class according to Top Drawer Soccer.
Notes from the Oregon State Match (L, 2-0)
- Oregon State's two first half goals were the first SDSU has allowed in the first 45 minutes all year.
- This was the first time the Aztecs had trailed in regulation all season.
- The Beavers' 19 shots were the second-most SDSU has faced this season
- For the first time this season, the Aztecs didn't attempt a corner kick.
- So Nishikawa earned his fourth start of the year and the first since Sept. 12 vs. Cal State Bakersfield.
- Alex Hjælmof also returned to the starting XI after a three-match absence.
- The Aztecs started seven underclassmen at Oregon State (four freshmen & three sophomores)
- SDSU was shut out for just the third time this season.
Coach Hopkins' Take on UCLA
"The Pac-12 race is wide open this year with really every team still in contention and the slimmest of margins in each match. UCLA is a team that has a motto of 'Death by 1,000 passes,' and a heavy focus on retaining the ball. It is always difficult to take the ball from them, but I have full confidence that our pressing will be able to cause turnovers and create scoring chances for us. We are improving everyday as well with our patterns and offensive organization which should help us manipulate UCLA's defense and create chances of our own."
Opponent Notebook (UCLA)
The Bruins are 6-4-0 on the year and 2-2-0 in the Pac-12… Like the Aztecs, they suffered two road losses at Oregon State and Washington last week… UCLA led in both matches. They were up 3-1 in the second half at OSU but then saw the Beavers score three goals in a three minute span to win 4-3. At No. 2 Washington, UCLA led 1-0 before allowing two Husky goals in the final seven minutes… UCLA is 5-2-0 at home… They have outscored their opponents 18-12, including an 11-5 advantage in the first half… UCLA is sixth in the nation in shot accuracy (0.525)… Tommy Silva and Kevin Diaz led the Bruins with 10 points and four goals. Three of Silva's goals have been game-winners… Goalkeeper Justin Garces has a goals allowed average of 1.22… Head coach Ryan Jorden is in his third year at UCLA, he came to Westwood from Pacific who he led to three consecutive NCAA tournament appearances… The Aztecs are 7-44-15 all-time against UCLA. Last year SDSU played the Bruins to a draw twice, the first time they've earned two results in a season against UCLA.