Beavers Open 2021 Home Slate
CORVALLIS, Ore. – After 690 days, Oregon State volleyball will play a home match in Gill Coliseum in front of fans when OSU hosts No. 17 Stanford on Friday night at 7 p.m. The Beavers will continue home action in Gill on Sunday hosting California at 12 p.m.
• The Beavers (2-12, 0-4 Pac-12) open action in Gill Coliseum for the first time during the 2021 season this weekend hosting No. 17 Stanford and California on Friday and Sunday, respectively. This will be the first time in 690 days that OSU has had fans at a regular-season volleyball match in Gill (Nov. 17, 2019), and the first time in 579 days since any sport has had a fan at a regular-season event in Gill (Men's basketball - March 7, 2020).
• Action gets underway on Friday, Oct. 8 at 7 p.m. on the Pac-12 Networks against the Cardinal. This will be volleyball's DAM Worth It match. Weekend action concludes on Sunday, Oct. 10 at 12 p.m. against the Golden Bears.
• OSU is coming off a 14-match road stretch to begin the 2021 season that includes four tournamants and the first two weeks of the Pac-12 schedule. During this stretch, OSU has traveled more than 18,400 miles.
• Oregon State is the lone Power Five school that won't open its home season until October. Every other P5 school has already played a home match.
• Injuries and other outside factors have once again plagued to Beavers this season as multiple key returners have missed matches at some point this season including: Nya Buckner, Aliyah McDonald, Mychael Vernon, Grace Massey, Mary Kate Lopez, Ellie Turner, Maddie Goings and Kateryna Tkachenko.
FOLLOW THE ACTION
• Friday's match will be broadcast on Pac-12 Networks with Rich Burk on the call. Sunday's match will be available to watch on Oregon State's Live Stream. Live stats will also be available.
• To access live stats and the link to watch the matches via your computer, smartphone or tablet, visit osubeavers.com.
• Fans are encouraged to follow the Oregon State volleyball program via social media. There are several platforms to follow the team including:
• Twitter: @BeaverVBall
• Instagram: @BeaverVBall
• Facebook: /BeaverVBall
• Season and single game tickets are available by visiting BeaverTickets.com/volleyball or by calling 1-800-GO-BEAVS.
AGAINST THE FIELD
• Oregon State has a 27-121 overall record against this weekend's opponents.
• The Beavers have yet to defeat Stanford since the two programs began meeting. The two programs didn't meet in 2020-21 due to COVID, so this will be the first meeting since Nov. 1, 2019.
• In the last meeting, Maddie Goings had seven kills, one ace and nine digs. Lindsey Schell added two kills and one block, while Grace Massey led OSU with 11 digs.
• Against California, Oregon State is 27-51 overall. The Beavers took the last two matches over the Golden Bears in 2020-21.
• Mychael Vernon led OSU in both matches finishing with 13 kills in the first match and 18 in the second. Lindsey Schell also added double-digit kills in both matches.
• Grace Massey tallied 32 digs between the two matches. In the second match, five Beavers finished with double-digit digs, while four tallied double-digit kills.
• Oregon State 2020-21 roster is highlight by the return of senior Grace Massey for a fifth season.
• With this, Massey has the ability to claim the top spot on Oregon State's career digs list. The top spot is currently held by Becky Defoe (2010-13) with 2,029. After the match at Colorado,, Massey (1,943) is 86 digs away from tying the record and 87 from claiming the top spot outright.
• So far in 2021, Massey has 165 digs. In her first three season in the Orange and Black, Massey finished in the top-10 for each grade (Freshman: 2nd with 433; Sophomore: 1st with 560; Junior: 3rd with 524). As a sophomore and junior, Massey's numbers rank her third and fifth, respectively, on OSU's single-season digs record list. Massey also holds a top-10 spot on digs per set each year she has been a Beaver.
• Against Southern Illinois Edwardsville, Massey set the three-set match record for digs in a set with 33 - tying a career-high that was previously set against Arizona on Nov. 17, 2019.
• Currently, Massey sits fourth in the Pac-12 for digs per set (4.46) and ninth for total digs. She is also 12th in the NCAA for career digs amongst active players.
• Maddie Goings made her 2021 debut vs LSU and recorded a team-high 19 kills. After the Oregon match, she has 1,153 career kills to sit 12th all-time at OSU and has 3,562 career attacks to sit eighth.
• Junior Lindsey Schell returns for another season in the Orange and Black. This season, the Temecila, Calif. native has 124 kills off 278 attacks, along with 40 blocks to average 0.83 per set.
• Szulczewski has been a crucial part of OSU's team with 385 assists on the season to lead OSU. She has posted six double-doubles this season to sit with 16 on her career. On the year, she has 37 kills, seven aces, 32 blocks and 126 digs.
• Tkachenko made her debut vs LSU. She has recorded double-digit kills in seven of the 12 matches she has seen time in this season, including a career-high 17 at Colorado State. On the year, she has 128 kills, 40 digs, five aces and seven blocks.
• Vernon made her 2021 debut at the Colorado State Tournament starting against UAB. During her debut, she recorded 14 kills to lead OSU. She posted 17 kills at Colorado State to finish the weekend with 40 kills, nine digs and five blocks. At the Boise State Classic, she finished with 17 kills and 12 digs. Most recently, she posted seven digs at Oregon.
• The freshman class has hit the ground running since joining the squad.
• All-seven true freshman have seen time in at least seven sets this season, and six have made appearances in the starting lineup (Emily Bourne, Iris Coba, Madison Kelly, Vivian Light, DiLara Unal and Ryan White).
• Light attacked opening weekend starting her career in the Orange and Black by leading the Beavers with 16 kills against Oklahoma. She has 48 kills, 11 blocks and nine digs on the year.
• Bourne and Kelly made an impact in their roles this season, including starting in both games at the Oklahoma Classic. On the year, Kelly has 27 kills, 19 blocks, 11 digs and six aces. Bourne has 28 kills, 10 digs and 15 blocks through the first 14 matches of the season.
• Unal made her first appearances in 2021 against Penn State. Unal has started eight matches and has 21 blocks. She also has two aces, six assists, eight kills and six digs on the season.
• White has appeared in 14 matches, seeing time as both a defensive specialist and libero. The Richland, Wash. native has 90 digs and five aces on the season.
LAST TIME OUT
• Oregon State fell in its last road trip to No. 19 Utah (18-25, 19-25, 13-25) and No. 24 Colorado (16-25, 22-25, 19-25).
• Tkachenko led OSU with 11 kills at Utah, and Goings led the Beavers with 14 at Colorado.
• Against Colorado, four athletes finished with an ace.
For more information on the Oregon State volleyball team, follow the club's official Twitter account at Twitter.com/BeaverVBall, by Facebook at Facebook.com/BeaverVBall or on Instagram at Instagram.com/BeaverVBall.
Oregon State Athletics strives to Build Excellent Authentic Visionary Student-Athletes (Go BEAVS).