Skip to main content


Pac-12 Networks programming may be unavailable due to scheduled technical maintenance.

Women's Soccer Ties No.3 UCLA

Oct 7, 2021

LOS ANGELES – The Utah women's soccer team opened its Los Angeles swing by earning a conference point by drawing with No. 3 UCLA, 1-1, on Thursday night. 
Utah's (5-5-3, 0-2-2 Pac-12) Chelsea Peterson tallied seven saves in the match, including two saves in five seconds in overtime. Peterson's biggest save came when she saved the Bruins (10-0-2, 2-0-2 Pac-12) penalty kick attempt in overtime. Courtney Talbot scored her fourth goal of the season for the Utes. 
"The fight from our team was incredible tonight," remarked head coach Hideki Nakada. "We stayed organized and showed great discipline throughout the match. We controlled the game's tempo on both sides of the ball, which was critical, and I couldn't be prouder of their work ethic tonight. We are looking forward to another great challenge on Sunday."
Starting the match, the Bruins attacked the Utes defense early as Olivia Athens had a shot that Chelsea Peterson saved. UCLA continued to put pressure on Utah, and Lexi Wright had a shot, but Peterson tallied the save again, keeping the match scoreless. 
In the 20' minute of the match, Eden Jacobsen had a quality look on goal, but her shot went just high of target. Avery Brady had a shot on goal for Utah that went to the bottom right corner five minutes later, but Lauren Brzykcy saved the shot. 
Late in the first half, UCLA broke the scoreless tie when Kennedy Faulknor scored on the bottom right corner of the goal. 
Utah fought right back and, after the kickoff, attacked the UCLA defense. The Bruins were called for a foul, and Utah lined up for a free kick. Kylee Geis took the kick and went short to Haley Farrar. Farrar set the ball up for Courtney Talbot, who went to the top right corner scoring for the Utes. 

Following Talbot's goal, the match would go into halftime tied at 1-1. 
Coming out of halftime, the Utes continued to put pressure on as Geis had a shot on target that was saved. Utah continued to pressure the Bruins defense as Talbot had a shot on goal that was saved, keeping the match tied at 1-1. 
In the 74' minute of the match, Kaufusi found herself with a chance to break the tie, but her shot went just high of the target. 
The pressure continued for Utah as in the 85' minute of the match; Talbot had a shot that went to the bottom left of the corner but was saved. UCLA continued to attack the Utes defense, but Utah stood tall and held the Bruins off the scoreboard, and the match went to overtime. 
The Bruins had quality looks in the first overtime, but Peterson was outstanding in net. Peterson tallied three saves in the overtime, but the biggest one came in the 99' minute of the match. Marley Canales had a penalty kick, and Peterson made a diving save and followed it back with another save.

Peterson continued to record saves in the second overtime as in the 109' minute of the match. Sunshine Fontes had shot in the center of the goal that Peterson saved. The Utes tied No. 3 UCLA to open their California trip.  

The Utes return to action on Sunday when they face No. 11 USC in Los Angeles. First kick is set for 3 p.m. MT and will be aired on the Pac-12 Networks.