Skip to main content

Fought For The Draw

Oct 10, 2021

STANFORD, Calif. - After falling behind by two goals early, Stanford battled back to force a 2-2 draw with No. 15 Oregon State on Sunday at Cagan Stadium. Stanford moves to 4-5-2 (1-2-1) on the season while Oregon State is 7-1-2 (3-0-1).

Despite an early goal and a penalty given away in the first 25 minutes of play, the Cardinal found the back of the net twice in quick succession before the end of the first half.

"Considering the position we found ourselves in, two nil down early in the game, I'm just really proud of how we fought back in the game and not only managed to tie the game up but looked like we could go on and win the game," said The Knowles Family Director of Men's Soccer Jeremy Gunn. 

Carlo Agostinelli netted his first career goal for the Cardinal when he headed home a cross from Keegan Tingey late in the first half. Zach Ryan also played a pivotal role in the buildup to the goal, intercepting a pass to setup the play.

Less than three minutes later, Mark Fisher controlled a blocked pass and found Gabe Segal in the corner of the penalty box. The junior forward took the opportunity well and equalized for Stanford with a strike to the near post. 

"I thought it was magnificent the way we came back into the game," said Gunn. "It was a fantastic goal by Carlo across the face of goal and then it was also great to see Gabe getting off the mark and burying his chance as well."

The Cardinal returned from the half with plenty of momentum and registered another nine shots in the second period but was unable to find the match winner. Stanford seemed to have won a penalty when it appeared an Oregon State player committed a handball in the penalty box, but the decision was not given. 

"I just really thought we deserved a penalty in the second half," said Gunn. "Based on the first half decision, it seemed absolutely clear that there was a handball so we were just left frustrated not getting that call which would have hopefully been a game winning penalty decision."

In the final minutes of regulation, Cam Cilley received his second yellow card, limiting Stanford to 10 men for the remainder of the contest.

"We were put in another tough spot when we went a man down, but the team showed great resiliency to keep fighting on," added Gunn. " At the beginning of the day we were absolutely looking for a win but considering the circumstances I'm happy with how the team fought against an excellent opponent."

Stanford is back in action on Saturday, Oct. 16 at Denver at 8 p.m. PT.