Football Set to Meet Huskies for First Time Since 2018
Venue: Husky Stadium
Time: 5:30 p.m. PT
Television (FOX): Tim Brando, Spencer Tillman
Radio (UCLA Sports Network from Learfield): AM 1150/AM 570
Josh Lewin (play-by-play), Matt Stevens (analyst), Wayne Cook reporter);
Sirius Ch. 99 / XM Ch. 207 / SXM App 967
UCLA will road trip to play at the University of Washington in a Pac-12 contest set for 5:30 p.m. PT on Saturday, Oct. 16. The game will be televised by FOX. The UCLA Learfield Radio Network will broadcast the contest, which will also be aired over SiriusXM and the Varsity App.
UCLA owns a 40-32-2 advantage in the series with the Huskies which dates back to 1932. UW holds a 21-15-1 edge in series games played in Seattle. The teams have split the past four meetings with Washington winning the last battle in 2018. UCLA's last series win came in 2014 at Washington.
Since the start of the Pac-12 Conference divisional play in 2011, UW and UCLA have met just four times. In the last matchup between the teams, in 2018 at the Rose Bowl, then-10th ranked Washington held off the Bruins 31-24. UCLA fought back from a 17-point halftime deficit to close to within one score but could not pull even or take the lead. Joshua Kelley (now with the Chargers) ran for 125 yards and then freshmen quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson completed 27 of 38 passes for 272 yards.
The last UCLA win in the series came in Seatlle during the 2014 season. The Bruins bested the Huskies 44-30 to record their ninth consecutive win at the time in games played away from home. Quarterback Brett Hundley threw for two scores and ran for two more in the victory.
• Counting last season's victory at Arizona State, UCLA has now recorded three straight road Pac-12 wins for the first time since a stretch from 2013-15 when it captured seven straight conference road affairs (2013: at Arizona, at USC; 2014: at Arizona State, at California, at Colorado, at Washington; 2015: at Arizona). The Bruins set a school record for consecutive wins away from the Rose Bowl with 12 straight over the course of the 2013-15 seasons.
• On the ground, UCLA has outrushed its opponent in 12 consecutive games. The longest streak by the Bruins dating back to 1980 is a 15-game stretch which covered the last three games of 1984 and all 12 games of the 1985 season ... UCLA has racked up a 1,302-to-555 rushing yards edge on opponents in 2021 ... the Bruins average 4.8 yards per rush while opponents are at 3.1 ... per game, UCLA is at 217.0 (22nd nationally); opponents at 92.5 (14th nationally).
• The last time UCLA (now 4-2) posted 5 wins by Oct. 16 of a season was when it won its first five contests of the 2013 campaign.
• The Bruins have set a number of school records over the years in games vs. Washington: Most rushing yards in a game - 322 by Maurice Jones-Drew in 2004; Most touchdowns scored in a game - 5 by Maurice Jones-Drew in 2004; Skip Hicks - 100 yards rushing (147) and receiving (106) in 1997; Most TDs scored by a true freshman in a game - 4 by Myles Jack in 2013; Highest completion percentage in a game - Rick Neuheisel completed 25 of 27 passing attempts in 1983; Most TD receptions in a game - J.J. Stokes 4 in 1993; Most all-purpose yards in a game - 384 by Maurice Jones-Drew in 2004; Most points scored in a game - 30 by Maurice Jones-Drew in 2004; Most kicking points scored in a game - 18 by Chris Sailer in 1998 (5 FGs and 3 PAT).
• UCLA rushed for 329 yards in the win at Arizona last week. That was the most by a Chip Kelly-coached Bruin team (previous best was 313 vs. USC in 2018) and the most by a UCLA team since it rushed for 345 yards in the 2013 season opener against Nevada.
• At Arizona, Brittain Brown (146) and Zach Charbonnet (117) became the first Bruin rushing duo to record 100-yard games in the same contest since RB Paul Perkins and QB Brett Hundley did so in a 2014 win at Colorado.
• Brittain Brown is fifth in the Pac-12 in rushing (73.5 yards per game) ... in his last last games, Brown has rushed 113 times for 789 yards (6.98 per rush) and five TDs ... his 6.6 average in 2020 was the best by a Bruin back, with at least 80 carries, since 1988 (Shawn Wills also 6.6 - 94 attempts for 622 yards) ... Brown recorded a career-best 219 yards rushing on 29 carries in 2020 against Stanford.
• Qwuantrezz Knight leads UCLA in tackles with 39 ... he is second on the team in tackles for loss (4.5) and third in sacks (1.5).
• Bo Calvert, who moved to OLB in '21, is in the top spot on the squad in tackles for loss with 5.5 ... he recorded a career-best 2.5 vs. Fresno State ... Calvert rates eighth in the Pac-12 in sacks (0.5) and 10th in tackles for loss (0.92).
• UCLA has at least one rushing touchdown in each of the last 15 games. The last game without a rushing score was Game 10 in 2019 vs. Utah.
• Fast starts by the Bruins include a 55-15 scoring edge in the first quarters of 2021 games.