USC Women's Volleyball Treks Desert to Tackle Sun Devils and Wildcats
LOS ANGELES - The USC women's volleyball team (7-8, 3-3 Pac-12) heads to the Copper State for matchups with Arizona State (8-9, 1-5) and Arizona (11-6, 3-3) this weekend. The Women of Troy take on the Sun Devils at Desert Financial Arena in Tempe, Ariz. on Friday (Oct. 15) at 7 p.m. PT and then head down the interstate to face the Wildcats at McKale Center in Tucson, Ariz., on Sunday (Oct. 17) at 1 p.m. The USC-Arizona match will be shown live on Pac-12 Networks.
MATCH #16 • Friday, October 15 • 7 p.m. PT
USC (7-8, 3-3) at Arizona State (8-9, 1-5)
Desert Financial Arena • Tempe, Ariz.
SERIES RECORD: USC leads, 71-14-1 (.826)
LAST MEETING: W 3-2 (Nov. 27, 2019 • Tempe, Ariz.)
STREAK: Won 1 • LAST 10 MEETINGS: 8-2
TV/STREAM: Arizona State Live Stream
OPPONENT WEBSITE: TheSunDevils.com
MATCH #17 • Sunday, October 17 • 1 p.m. PT
USC (7-8, 3-3) at Arizona (11-6, 3-3)
McKale Center • Tucson, Ariz.
SERIES RECORD: USC leads, 67-22 (.753)
LAST MEETING: W 3-2 (March 26, 2021 • Tucson, Ariz.)
STREAK: Won 5 • LAST 10 MEETINGS: 7-3
TV/STREAM: Pac-12 Networks (Brian Webber)
OPPONENT WEBSITE: ArizonaWildcats.com
- USC is under the direction of second-year head coach Brad Keller who has also served as an assistant coach for the USC men's volleyball team.
- Gr. OH Brooke Botkin was named to the Preseason All-Pac-12 Team and ranks fifth in the Pac-12 in kills (3.98 kps) and seventh in points (4.40 pps).
- Sr. S Raquel Lázaro ranks second in the Pac-12 for service aces (0.39 saps).
- USC played nine of its first 13 matches, including its first four Pac-12 contests away from home this season.
- Gr. MB Candice Denny played her freshman and sophomore seasons at Arizona (2017-18) before transferring to USC.
- Last season--played in the spring of 2021--USC didn't play Arizona State due to cancellations stemming from COVID-19 protocols and only faced Arizona once on the road.
- USC is 57-25 all-time in the Copper State (26-16 in Tucson; 31-9 in Tempe).
- Pac-12 head coaches picked USC to finish sixth in a preseason poll.
- Jr. OH Kalen Owes hails from Phoenix and is one of seven all-time Women of Troy to come from the state of Arizona, including All-American OH Khalia Lanier (2016-19) and All-American MB Emily Adams (2001-04).
LAST TIME OUT: USC played its first conference home matches and split the weekend with a narrow 3-0 loss to No. 15 Utah and a 3-1 victory over No. 24 Colorado. The Utes won the first by three points and each of the next two by just two points to extend their winning streak over the Trojans to six straight matches. USC pounced on Colorado to get as big first-set win and then held off the Buffaloes to get an extra-points victory in the second. Brooke Botkin and Raquel Lázaro each put up double-doubles in the win over Colorado and four Trojans reached double-digit kills to secure the team's third Pac-12 victory of the young season.
DESERT DWELLERS: Seven USC letterwinners have come from the state of Arizona. OH Kalen Owes is a native of Phoenix. Two-time All-American OH Khalia Lanier (2016-19) hailed from Scottsdale, Ariz., and three-time All-American MB Emily Adams (2001-04) is from Phoenix. Yvonne Lewis (1984-87) was the first Trojan to come from the Copper State and the only one from Tucson where she prepped at Sahuaro HS. MB Candice Denny played two seasons at Arizona (2017-18) before joining the Trojans. USC is 57-25 all-time in the state of Arizona with a 26-16 record in Tucson and 31-9 in Tempe.