Aztecs Across Town at USD Friday
RV San Diego State (6-3-2, 2-3-0 Pac-12) at San Diego (1-10-0)
Friday, October 15 | 7:30 p.m. PT | Torero Stadium | San Diego, Calif.
- The Aztecs (6-3-2, 2-3-0) play across town at the University of San Diego (1-10-0, 0-2-0 WCC) Friday evening at 7:30 p.m. The match will be streamed on the WCC Network.
- SDSU is coming off a 1-0 loss in extra time at UCLA last Friday.
- The Aztecs are receiving votes in the United Soccer Coaches poll and coming in at No. 32 overall.
- SDSU was No. 36 in the NCAA's first release of the RPI.
- Tadej Pirtovšek (No. 12) and Alex Hjælmof (No. 88) were recognized in Top Drawer Soccer's Midseason Top 100 Freshmen list.
- The Aztecs have allowed just five goals on the year, tied for the third fewest in the nation.
- SDSU leads the nation in save percentage (0.894). They are also top five in shutout percentage (4th, 0.636) and team goals against average (4th, 0.428).
- Aztec goalkeeper Jacob Castro's seven shutouts are tied for the second-most in the nation. He is also second in save percentage (0.889) and fourth in goals against average (0.428). The single-season SDSU school record for shutouts is 12.0 and a goals allowed average of 0.49 set by former SDSU All-American Tally Hall in 2005.
- SDSU went to overtime for the fifth time last weekend at UCLA. This is the most times the Aztecs have gone to extra time since 2016 when they played more than 90 minutes in 10 of their 19 matches.
- Andre Ochoa, the team captain, is tied for third in the Pac-12 lead with four goals.
- For the first time in the program's 53-year history, the Aztecs recorded seven shutouts and allowed just one goal through the team's first eight matches.
- SDSU was undefeated through its first eight matches for the first time since 2005.
- The Aztecs are 6-0-0 at home so far this season, the first time they've won their first six home matches since 1991. SDSU is 0-3-2 on the road
- SDSU has only trailed in regulation in one match, in their 2-0 loss at Oregon State Oct. 3.
- The Aztecs' 1-0 win in extra time over No. 23 Stanford on Sept. 19 was their first victory against the Cardinal since 2011.
- SDSU is in a stretch of six straight road matches and won't play at home until November 4.
- Four Pac-12 schools are currently ranked or receiving votes: No. 2 Washington, No. 13 Oregon State, RV UCLA and RV San Diego State.
- The Aztecs have trailed at halftime just once this season and only four times in their 21 matches under second year head coach Ryan Hopkins.
- SDSU has the third best 2022 recruiting class according to Top Drawer Soccer.
Notes from the UCLA Match (L, 1-0 OT)
- The Bruins attempted the match's final 10 shots, all of which were in the final 27 minutes.
- For the 10th time in their 11 matches, SDSU held their opponent scoreless in the first half.
- The Aztecs went to extra time for the fifth time this season and the third time in their five Pac-12 matches.
Coach Hopkins' Take on San Diego
"Cross-town matches always increase the intensity, and we will have to be at our best against a very hungry USD team. Records basically get thrown out the window and it's who wants to compete on the night that will come away with the win."
Opponent Notebook (San Diego)
The Toreros are 1-10-0 on the year and 0-2-0 in the WCC… They are 1-6-0 on their home pitch… USD has lost their last six matches… They have been outscored 34-10… Nicklas Clausen leads the team in points (9), goals (4) and shots (25)… Goalkeeper Marley Mascarenas has a goals allowed average of 2.95… Head coach Brian Quinn is in his fourth season as the Torero head coach after spending 11 seasons as the USD assistant… The Aztecs are 14-7-2 all-time against the Toreros.