Transom, Sheridan, Miljenic and Sancov Win Twice Each During Victory at USC Swim Invitational
Trojan upperclassmen Laticia Transom, Calypso Sheridan, Nikola Miljenic and Alexei Sancov each posted a pair of wins during the second and final day of the USC Swim Invitational on Saturday (Oct. 16) at the Uytengsu Aquatics Center. USC won the meet by a margin of more than 500 points to open the 2021-22 season.
The Trojans, for the second day in a row, competed against swimmers from TCU, UNLV and UC San Diego.
Sancov had a pair of wins as the defending Pac-12 200y free champion asserted his dominance in the event, touching in 1:34.97 for first. He also out-touched Trojan Harry Homans (1:44.27) in the 200y fly to pick up his second individual win of the day (1:44.13).
The Croatian Olympian Miljenic took home wins in the 100y fly (46.75) and 100y free (44.02), posting NCAA B-cut times in both events.
In the 200y free, the 2020 Pac-12 champion Transom won with ease, finishing in 1:43.98. She also won the 100y free, posting a 48.41 for first.
The two-time Pac-12 breaststroke champion Kaitlyn Dobler blasted a 57.95 in the 100y breast to earn the Trojans first individual NCAA A-cut of the 2021-22 season. She was also second in the 200y breast (2:11.63, NCAA B-cut). Senior Isabelle Odgers touched just behind Dobler in the 100 (1:01.39, NCAA B-cut), but came back to win the 200y breast in 2:09.27 for another NCAA B-cut.
Redshirt senior Sheridan led a Trojan sweep in the 400y IM, posting a 4:07.52 (NCAA B-cut) for first (Odgers second, Nicole Pavlopoulou third). She later returned to claim the 200y fly in 1:56.65 for an additional NCAA B-cut.
Freshman Jade Hannah, who won the 100y back yesterday (52.66, B-cut), returned today to claim the 200y back in 1:56.29 for The Women of Troy.
Another USC newcomer, Marlene Kahler, won her second event of the weekend, this time taking the women's 1650y free in an NCAA B-cut time of 16:22.30.
Sophomore Olympian Anicka Delgado won the women's 100y fly, cruising into the wall in 53.09 for an NCAA B-cut.
Purdue transfer Trent Pellini won the men's 100y breast, posting an NCAA B-cut time of 53.40. Trojan Ben Dillard who finished just behind Pellini in the 100y breast, emerged victorious in the 200y breast (1:54.98), just a couple of events later.
USC's powerhouse quartet of Sheridan, Dobler, Delgado and Transom combined to win both the 200y free (1:28.00) and 200y medley relays (1:36.01), picking up NCAA A-cuts in both races. They wrapped up the meet with an additional win in the 400y free relay, posting a 3:16.37 for an NCAA B-cut.
USC picked up another three relay wins as the Trojans won the men's 200y free (Artem Selin, Miljenic, Sancov, Max Saunder – 1:18.38), 200y medley (Holden Raffin, Pellini, Miljenic, Selin – 1:26.88) and 400y free relays (Selin, Miljenic, Saunders, Sancov – 2:55.23).
INDIVIDUAL EVENT WINNERS:
- Laticia Transom (Sr.) - 100y Free (48.41, NCAA B-cut), 200y Free (1:43.98, NCAA B-cut)
- Calypso Sheridan (R-Sr.) - 400y IM (4:07.52, NCAA B-cut), 200y Fly (1:56.65, NCAA B-cut)
- Nikola Miljenic (R-Sr.) - 100y Fly (46.75, NCAA B-cut), 100y Free (44.02)
- Alexei Sancov (Sr.) - 200 Free (1:34.97, NCAA B-cut), 200 Fly (1:44.13, NCAA B-cut)
- Kaitlyn Dobler (So.) - 100y Breast (57.95, NCAA A-cut)
- Isabelle Odgers (Sr.) - 200y Breast (2:09.27, NCAA B-cut)
- Jade Hannah (Fr.) - 200y Back (1:56.29, NCAA B-cut)
- Marlene Kahler (Fr.) - 1650y Free (16:22.30, NCAA B-cut)
- Anicka Delgado (So.) - 100y Fly (53.09, NCAA B-cut)
- Ben Dillard (So.) - 200y Breast (1:54.98, NCAA B-cut)
- Trent Pellini (Sr.) - 100y Breast (53.40, NCAA B-cut)