Aztecs Go for Stanford Sweep Thursday Night
RV San Diego State (7-3-2, 2-3-0) at Stanford (4-5-3, 1-3-1)
Thursay, October 21 | 8 p.m. PT | Maloney Field at Laird Q. Cagan Stadium | Stanford, Calif.
Pac-12 Networks (Bay Area)
RV San Diego State (7-3-2, 2-3-0) at California (2-8-2, 0-5-0)
Sunday, October 24 | 3 p.m. PT | Edwards Stadium | Berkeley, Calif.
Pac-12 Networks (Bay Area)
- The Aztecs (7-3-2, 2-3-0) will play their final two round matches of the season when they head to the Bay Area for games at Stanford (Thursday at 8 p.m.) and at California (Sunday at 3 p.m.). Both matches will be broadcast on Pac-12 Networks Bay Area (subscription required).
- The Aztecs' 1-0 win in extra time over No. 23 Stanford on Sept. 19 was their first victory against the Cardinal since 2011. SDSU hasn't swept Stanford since 2008.
- SDSU is coming off a thrilling 2-1 win at San Diego last Friday night where Blake Bowen scored the game-winning goal with four seconds left after the Toreros tied the match in the 88th minute. This was the second time Bowen and the Aztecs have scored a game-winning goal in the final five seconds of regulation (UC Davis Sept. 10). Both came off an Iñigo Villaldea free kick.
- The Aztecs wrapped up the non-conference portion of their schedule with a 5-0-2 record, the first time they've gone undefeated in non-conference play since 2005.
- SDSU is receiving votes in the United Soccer Coaches poll and came in at No. 27 overall. SDSU is No.4 in the Far West region behind Pac-12 counterparts Washington, Oregon State and UCLA. The Aztecs' RPI is No. 44 and Stanford ranks No. 46.
- The Aztecs have allowed just six goals on the year, the fourth fewest in the nation.
- SDSU leads the nation in save percentage (0.880). They are also top five in team goals against average (4th, 0.473) and shutout percentage (5th, 0.583).
- Aztec goalkeeper Jacob Castro's seven shutouts are tied for the second-most in the nation. He is also second in save percentage (0.880) and fourth in goals against average (0.473). The single-season SDSU school record for goals allowed average of 0.49 set by former SDSU All-American Tally Hall in 2005.
- SDSU has held their opponent scoreless in the first half in 11 of their 12 matches.
- The Aztecs are 7-0-1 when they score first and 0-3-0 when their opponent does.
- Midfielder Andre Ochoa, the team captain, is tied for third in the Pac-12 lead with five goals. He was recently named to Top Drawer Soccer's Midseason Top 100 list, coming in at No. 90.
- Tadej Pirtovšek (No. 12) and Alex Hjælmof (No. 88) were recognized in Top Drawer Soccer's Midseason Top 100 Freshmen list.
- SDSU has gone to overtime in five matches this year, the most times the Aztecs have gone to extra time since 2016 when they played more than 90 minutes in 10 of their 19 matches.
- For the first time in the program's 53-year history, the Aztecs recorded seven shutouts and allowed just one goal through the team's first eight matches.
- SDSU was undefeated through its first eight matches for the first time since 2005.
- The Aztecs are 6-0-0 at home so far this season, the first time they've won their first six home matches since 1991.
- SDSU has only trailed in regulation in one match, in their 2-0 loss at Oregon State Oct. 3.
- SDSU is in a stretch of six straight road matches and won't play at home until November 4.
- Four Pac-12 schools are currently ranked or receiving votes: No. 2 Washington, No. 8 Oregon State, No. 22 UCLA and RV San Diego State.
- The Aztecs have trailed at halftime just once this season and only four times in their 22 matches under second year head coach Ryan Hopkins.
- SDSU has the third best 2022 recruiting class according to Top Drawer Soccer.
Notes from the San Diego Match (W, 2-1)
- This was the second time this season the Aztecs have scored the game-winning goal in the final five seconds of regulation. They scored with one second remaining in their 1-0 win over UC Davis. In both instances, the game-winner was scored by Blake Bowen following an Iñigo Villaldea free kick.
- This was SDSU's first road win of the season.
- For the 11th time in their 12 matches, SDSU held their opponent scoreless in the first half.
- Freshmen defender Rik Regeling made his first career start and had an assist on the game-winning goal.
- The Aztecs own a 15-7-2 advantage in the all-time series against USD.
Coach Hopkins' Take on Stanford
"The Stanford game will come down to our positioning, mentality and work rate and if we can exceed Stanford in all those areas. If we play with the same fire and intensity of the first match, it will go a long way to helping us secure a huge win."
Opponent Notebook (Stanford)
The Cardinal are 4-5-3 on the year and went 1-3-1 in their first swing through the Pac-12 schedule… They are 3-2-2 at home and are coming off a 1-1 draw at the University of Denver… They are outscoring opponents 18-14 and outshooting them 177-105… Ousseni Bouda leads the team in points (17), assists (9) and goals (4). His nine assists are tied for the third-most in the nation and his 17 points leads the Pac-12… Goalkeeper Matt Frank has a goals allowed average of 0.937 and a save percentage of 0.744… Head coach Jeremy Gunn (10th season) led Stanford to three straight national championships from 2015-17 and has helped Stanford make eight straight NCAA postseasons… The Aztecs are 13-21-8 all-time against Stanford. Their win against the Cardinal earlier this season was their first since 2011.
Coach Hopkins' Take on California
"California is a team that possesses a lot of quality with the ball and can hurt you in a variety of ways. They have been playing inspired as of late and will never quit."
Opponent Notebook (California)
The Golden Bears are 2-8-2 and 0-5-0 in the Pac-12… They are 2-3-0 at home and are coming off a 3-3 draw against Santa Clara… They have been outscored 25-12 and given up seven goals over their last two matches… Evan Davila leads the team in points (8) and assists (2)… Head coach Kevin Grimes (21st season) is the program's winningest coach and is a five-time Pac-12 Coach of the Year winner… The Aztecs are 24-25-4 all-time against Cal and beat them 2-0 earlier this year.