USC Women’s Volleyball Wins Fourth Straight in Four-Set Victory over Oregon State
LOS ANGELES – The USC women's volleyball team (10-8, 6-3 Pac-12) extended to a four-match winning streak on a four-set victory (25-22, 25-14, 21-25, 25-17) over Oregon State (3-16, 1-8) at Galen Center on Friday, Oct. 22.
- Jr. OPP Emilia Weske led the Trojans with 11 kills (2e, 26att, .346) and had two service aces with two blocks.
- Jr. OH Kalen Owes finished with 10 kills (3e) on 35 attacks and had three blocks.
- Fr. MB Tyrah Ariail also had 10 kills (1e, 18att) and hit .500 to go with five blocks (one solo).
- Fr. S Mia Tuaniga posted her third straight double-double with 40 assists and 12 digs to go with two blocks.
- Gr. MB Candice Denny had nine kills (4e, 20att, .250) with two blocks (one solo).
- Gr. LIB Shannon Scully led the team with 16 digs and scored one service ace.
- For Oregon State, Maddie Goings led all players with 16 kills and had a double-double with 11 digs. Kateryna Tkachenko had 12 kills and Vivian Light had 11. Grace Massey led all players with 19 digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The teams went back and forth for seven ties in the first set, and the Beavers led by as many as three points on several occasions. But USC used a 6-0 run to grab a 20-17 lead and then held off Oregon State for a 25-22 win.
- The Trojans scored the first three points of the second set and never let up en route to a 25-14 win. USC got four kills from Gr. OH Brooke Botkin and three from Weske as the team hit .310 in the set. So. LIB Sam Hastings came in and served two of her three aces and the Trojans out-blocked Oregon State, 5-1, to take a 2-0 lead in the match.
- It was Oregon State with three blocks and two service aces in the third set as the tables turned. The Beavers held USC to a .000 hitting rate with just nine kills on 41 swings. OSU finished off a 25-21 win to take set three.
- Back on track in the fourth, Ariail collected five of her kills on five swings while Owes added five more and Denny added four. USC hit .424 with 16 kills (2e, 33att) in the fourth set and got two more service aces for a 25-17 win to seal the match.
- The Trojans are back in action on Sunday (Oct. 24) at 1 p.m. PT at Galen Center as they host No. 16 Oregon (14-5, 5-4). The match will be streamed live on Pac-12.com/live.
- USC improved to 59-10 all-time against Oregon State and to 31-3 in home matches with the Beavers.
- The Trojans have won 23 straight home contests against Oregon State.
- The Women of Troy go to 4-3 at home this season and improve to 175-48 all-time at Galen Center.
- USC's four-match winning streak is the team's longest this season and the longest since it ended the shortened 2020-21 season on a four-match win streak.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.