Postgame Notes: Utah at Oregon State
Oct 23, 2021
(at) Oregon State 42, Utah 34
Corvallis, Ore. (Reser Stadium)
Sat., Oct. 23, 2021
Kick: 4:40 p.m. PT | End: 7:58 p.m. PT
- Saturday's loss ended a three-game winning streak for Utah, and a run of six straight triumphs against Pac-12 opponents.
- Utah fell to Oregon State for the first time since 2013, snapping a five-game winning streak against the Beavers.
- Oregon State won the coin toss, deferred to the second half, and elected to defend the South goal.
- For the fourth time this season and third straight game, Utah surpassed 450 yards of total offense (455).
- Since making his season debut at San Diego State, sophomore quarterback Cameron Rising has been perfect through the air (no incompletions) on 12 of 14 scoring drives.
- For the second straight game, Rising surpassed his single-game rushing yards career high (73). Rising entered the game coming off of a 59-yard performance last weekend vs. Arizona State.
- Redshirt freshman wide receiver Devaughn Vele reeled in a career-long 45-yard reception during the second quarter. It was also Rising's longest completion as a Ute.
- Sophomore running back Tavion Thomas had two touchdowns on the ground, Thomas' second multi-TD game at Utah and third of his career. It includes one such performance in 2018, when Thomas was at Cincinnati.
- Thomas logged 21 carries in the game, surpassing his season-high for the second straight week after recording 20 rushing attempts vs. Arizona State last week.
- Finishing with 40 yards through the air, junior wide receiver and return specialist Britain Covey eclipsed the 1,700 career receiving yards milestone (1,708).
- Junior tight end Brant Kuithe has a receiving touchdown in back-to-back games.
- Rising has produced 12 "big" rushing plays (10-plus yards) on the season for 16.2 yards per carry and a touchdown. It includes "big" plays against Oregon State (4), Arizona State (3), USC (2), Washington State and San Diego State (2).
- Up to halftime and going back to Arizona State, Utah had produced points on eight of its last 10 possessions (7 TD, FG). The Utes drove down field at least 64 yards on seven of those nine scoring drives.
- Utah has scored on its game-opening drive in back-to-back games, as well on its first drive in four of the last five halves (1st at Oregon State; 1st and 2nd vs. ASU; 2nd at USC)
- Junior Mika Tafua delivered a third-down strip-sack on Oregon State's first possession, Tafua's third career forced fumble and first of the season. Tafua also owns 5.5 sacks this season and 13.5 in his career.
- Tafua's 2.0 TFLs matched his season-high, previously set in the game at USC.
- In that same theme, senior safety Brandon McKinney had a strip-sack of his own just before halftime, this time recovered upon review by Junior Tafuna. It was McKinney's second career force and first as a Ute, and first recovery for Tafuna.
- McKinney had 2.0 TFLs on the night, a career-high and equaling his two prior career TFL (one at Utah, one at Washington).
- Freshman defensive end Van Fillinger earned his first career quarterback hurry during the fourth quarter, ultimately an Oregon State incompletion on fourth down.
- Utah forced a game-opening three-and-out for the fourth time this season, and held its opponent scoreless on their opening drive for the sixth time this season.
- JT Greep appeared at long-snapper after Keegan Markgraf suffered a season-ending injury during the Arizona State game last week. Greep provided eight snaps on the night (4 PAT, 3 FG, punt).
Related News & Videos
19 minutes ago